Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having an engine guard will be good. You are going to do something stupid like stop at the last minute when pulling out with your steering cocked and then you fall over (with a big crowd watching, of course).

We've all done that (some things you have to learn the hard way) and that engine guard will help protect from slow speed fallovers.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I suggest you ride as many different models as possible so you know what you're getting into. I started on an 06 1100 v-star. Very heavy but nimble for it's size. I grew out of that in 2 months and bought my dyna. Now I have 2 bikes. If I would have been patient I would have found the dyna and bought it after the other trials. Now I have 2 bikes. My girl took up riding this year too so I bought her an 82 Honda 450 night hawk. Point being I coulda saved 6 grand if I would just kept testing out bikes. And my 08 street bob is a fantastic handling and cornering bike. And very comfortable if you have highway pegs and mini apes. So a dyna gets my vote. Good luck

Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
RG462
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yer about the same size as me. I sat on a sporty and the DEALER told me to get off. Wrong size. Eventually I found my 98 fatboy. Perfect fit, perfect price, been happy ever since. I do know someone who has a deluxe. Let me go for a short skoot, wasnt for me, I felt more comfy on mine. Not because it was mine, but the fit was better.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode sport bikes since '89. I was pretty good at it too. Did wheel stands and all the other stupid chit. I bought my Fatboy 2 years ago. My brother video'd me on the way home. Hahaha!!! I looked like I was gonna crap a diamond on the way home. Now, I am sooo happy I went with it. I started with the engine mods almost right away. Long story, longer...... You grow into your bike soon enough and then want more, and more, and more.... Don't get me wrong, the Sporties are cool, but in 6 months you'll be second guessing the Deluxe.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 AM
apx07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fmnspooch
Thanks to each and everyone of you who replied to my post. Alot of sound advice for sure. I appreciate the honesty and understanding. I am generally a pretty adventerous type of guy. This is the first time that I have ever hesitated on a purchase like this. Ive owned boats, cars, ATV's, RC airplanes and never ever was nervous before. So this is a first. I guess turning 40 this year means that Im either a little smarter or just getting old. LOL. Here is a picture just so everyone can see my potentially first Harley. Thanks again all.
You look very young for 40 and too small for that bike ..!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 AM
toxicstang99
Cruiser

Hey man, I know everyone has put in there 2 cents, but I'm gonna give you mine as well.

Sportster are BA! Sure some other Harley's might rate higher on other people's "cool" factor, but they are sweet rides. I'm 6'4, and 245 lbs, you know what my first Harley was? a '99 Sportster 883C with forward controls and Drag bars. No doubt I looked big on the bike, but I'm not riding for fashion or vain. I ride cause I love to ride, and that's all that should matter. If you want the "look at me factor" then go get a Big Dog.

If you want to get a starter bike, I wouldn't get a Harley. Only because I'd rather learn on a $2K beater Jap bike than spend all that cash on a harley, ride it around for 6 months, then sale if for a couple hundred less than what you paid for it. You basically learned how to ride a bike really well for a couple hundred dollars.

Last but not least, don't make a "2-bike" mistake. I know they're different style bikes, but when I bought my first bike, I was afraid of getting something "too powerful". I bought a Kawi ZX-6R, thinking I should start with a small bike, something I could "control". The biggest mistake was buying it new (cost me $3,5K to learn on that bike), the next biggest mistake was not buying the right bike. 5 weeks and 2K miles later I traded it in for a ZX-14. Now that was one sweet bike. I loved it. The most important thing to remember is you control the bike, the bike doesn't control you. Let your right wrist do the controlling.

Now good luck with your future purchase and keep us posted! I have an '09 Deluxe and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I'm happiest when I'm getting on to ride, and the sadest when I've reached my destination.

Last edited by toxicstang99; 09-13-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I was right were you are 2 years ago I had not been on a bike in 30 yrs was really nervous about how big a ride I could handle. The sportster just did not feel comfortable to me I ended up buying a kawi 900 rode it for 2 months and realized I made a huge mistake and bought my 09 deluxe. Buy the deluxe you wont regret it.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:55 AM
toocruisin'
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. Here is a picture just so everyone can see my potentially first Harley. Thanks again all.
Nice clean bike, with tasty upgrades! Good luck in making it yours.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 AM
fmnspooch
Road Master

So, heres an update. Looked at an 07 Black Pearl Deluxe last night with 2000 miles. Stock other than a pair of VH pipes. Sweet ride. Good price I think. $12K. Young guy about my age, original owner. Said he just does not ride it very often. I have two concerns and am not sure how to handle it.

1. He does not have the title. Bike is being financed. How do I pay the guy and make sure I get the title without getting effed?

2. Bike fired right up cold. Idle seemed a little high and when I put it into first gear she kind of slammed into gear. The owner took it for a ride around the block and it seemed to go a away a little bit. He stated the bike had not been run in a while and needed to warm up a little. Make sense or do you think this could be an issue?

Thanks for the input.

Pooch

Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 AM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, heres an update. Looked at an 07 Black Pearl Deluxe last night with 2000 miles. Stock other than a pair of VH pipes. Sweet ride. Good price I think. $12K. Young guy about my age, original owner. Said he just does not ride it very often. I have two concerns and am not sure how to handle it.

1. He does not have the title. Bike is being financed. How do I pay the guy and make sure I get the title without getting effed?

2. Bike fired right up cold. Idle seemed a little high and when I put it into first gear she kind of slammed into gear. The owner took it for a ride around the block and it seemed to go a away a little bit. He stated the bike had not been run in a while and needed to warm up a little. Make sense or do you think this could be an issue?

Thanks for the input.

Pooch
ALot of sellers finace their bikes...so they use the money that the buyer gives them and then the get the clean title. Just make sure he signs a receipt of how much you gave him and he is going to sell the bike to you when he gets the title. The only problem it will take longer then if he had a clean title in hand.

As far as the idle...I have a 2010 Heritage Softail....it is fuel injected....and when I first start her up it does idle high until I let it sit for a minute...or ride it for a minute....and if I do take off "right away"...it also "slams" into first gear....

and to add my 2 cents...I am 5'6" around 165lbs.....I LOVE my Heritage. I fits me to a "T"....I did start on a Vulcan.....took the MSF course.....then bought a 1993 Heitage....sold it...and bought the 2010....I wish you alot of luck!!!

Quick Reply: First Harley...