Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 AM
HDnoob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a 2003 night train last month as my first bike. It's also the first bike I have ever ridden. It was a very easy bike to learn on. I would definitely say go for the deluxe. You wont regret it. Also, if you ever go to sell it, It will probably be worth close to what you paid for it. My uncle who has ridden since he was a kid told me that I would be better off learning on a softail as opposed to a sportster.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:26 AM
vheflin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fmnspooch
Looking for a little advice. I just got my permit and am looking at an 2005 softail deluxe for my first bike. Everyone I talk to has told me that if I get a sportser that Im a chump basically.

I sat on three different softails this week, I like the way the softail fits me, but I must admit, I drop a turd the second I fire it up. I met with a nice local guy today who has one for sale, its priced right too. When it came time to pull the trigger, I told the guy I wanted to sleep on it. Got totally nervous and bagged. Not sure if the Softail Deluxe is too big for me. I guess that is the reason for the hesitation.

With that said, Im not a small guy by any means. Im 5'9 220lbs.

Looking for some sound advice. Should I go for it or what?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Pooch
I'd take the MSF course first. The things you learn in this course will well prepare you for riding and or let you know if riding is right for you.

I think you will find the softail to be a good fit. Like someone else here said "You sit in the bike", the softails handle great and have a low center of gravity. IMO a real nice all around bike.

Why waste money on something you don't really want and then trade up? When I started riding I took the MSF course and asked several of the instructors what would be a good bike to start on. The general response was to get what you want because if you can ride a small bike you can ride a large one as the technique is the same large or small, but to be sure to get a bike that fits you and you feel comfortable on. I think you picked out a good bike in the 2005 deluxe and if that is what you want, go for it.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the course. Then demo ride as many bikes as you can. Rent a few for a day if you got the money and want to.

Buy the one that fits you the best. Buy the one that your most comfortable on and handling. Buy the one that feels right, not the one that looks right or is priced right.

And don't listen to all the bullshit either. Look at my sig pic. That is my first bike and Harley. I never rode anything, not even a dirtbike, prior to that.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Saphira
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest buying a used bike, any brand, and learn how to ride it first. The MSF course is a good place to start for training with instructors. Spend some time in the parking lot doing drills. Ride Like A Pro by Motorman can get you up and riding in no time. Once you have your riding skills down trade the used bike in and buy the Softail or whatever Harley tickles your fancy. Safety first, which means keeping the bike you paid for and yourself out of harms way. Keep the rubber side down.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by laduckslayer
Sportsters are great - unique following with them. I've had many, and recently sold my latest.

I have a 2005 Deluxe - Softies are great as well. The counterbalanced engine removes the vibration very nicely. It's a great bike for making it your own. Lot's of creative guys on this forum.

Dyna - Great bikes. I don't have one one at this time, but Dyna's have been my favorite set up since I owned my '72 Super Glide.

Touring - you're going to end up here anyway!!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
phanowel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as a current softail rider, I have nothing but great things to say about sportsters. I had an 883, and it was very maneuverable, fun to ride, quick around town, light, a real kick in the pants to ride. But, I didn't put it out on the highway much, and never for more than 10 miles or so. I changed it up primarily to have something a bit bigger for the wife on the back.

So, take your time, get what you want after a bit of experience, if possible.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These people that tell you you're a chump or whatever for buying a Sportster..what are they riding? My first bike was a 1992 XLH 883 Hugger.. and I rode with a bunch of guys on sportbikes, but when it came down to it, more girls were checking out my harley than their rice burners. A sportster is a great bike to learn on..they're light (about 475lbs or so), they corner well, they have incredible speed for their size engines (lets remember, Sportsters were created to compete against Triumphs and such in motorcycle races).. They're not awesome for 500 mile rides, but for you to get a feel on the road and recognize how to protect yourself in traffic..not to mention for the price tag..you can't go wrong.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain

My OL loved to pass touring bikes being hauled to Sturgis on her sporty!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

GET WHAT YOU WANT! A Deluxe will not seem big after a couple hundred miles (I promise).

Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
fmnspooch
Road Master

Thanks to each and everyone of you who replied to my post. Alot of sound advice for sure. I appreciate the honesty and understanding. I am generally a pretty adventerous type of guy. This is the first time that I have ever hesitated on a purchase like this. Ive owned boats, cars, ATV's, RC airplanes and never ever was nervous before. So this is a first. I guess turning 40 this year means that Im either a little smarter or just getting old. LOL. Here is a picture just so everyone can see my potentially first Harley. Thanks again all.

Attached Thumbnails First Harley...-img_20110910_145207.jpg  

Quick Reply: First Harley...