Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Load Equalizers - What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pnw_hd_rider
Tail/running lights and brake lights don't need 'equalizing'. The only issue with LEDs is with the turn signal flasher. Some 8 ohm resistors from radio shack for a buck apiece (one for each turn signal) work perfectly for LED turn signals.
There you go...

Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Biketronics all in one signal/running light and aux. brake light set up for my rear LED signals. I think it was called a tailboners or something like that. The ad for the Biketronics unit was confusing, at least for me. The way I read it, it had a load equalizer in the unit.
Just before I installed it, I called Biketronics to make sure and they said that the add in the J&P catalog was in error.
The Biketronics tech said once I had the LED lights installed to turn the ignition on and activate one signal for several seconds and then the other. He thought that the ECM on the bike would compensate for the little difference in load. He was right. They have been on for about 4 years and work fine. If I had also added front leds I might not have been so lucky.
Tom

Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
DesertH-D
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoever the doofus is that recommend Radio Shack resistors is out of their mind! Run your 4-ways in a Patriot Guard parade for 10 minutes and see what happens buddy! BADLANDS all the way! Illuminator has been working perfectly, R/B/T and Load Eq all in one. Plug&play... I do Patriot Guard, 4-Ways flashing away all day long (well, an hour or so anyway), NO trouble in over a year. Did have a Radiantz LED go bad, but Badlands repalced it, no questions asked. Any questions, ask for Dan, the guy is some kind of physics genius (according to a Hot Bike article) that rides Harleys. Don't know the whole story, but it's clear the guy knows his sh*t...

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM
DesertH-D
Novice
Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Jake McSwegin
Stage II

I wouldn't be so quick to call this guy a doofus for using resistors. All a load equalizer is is a resistor. Period. Some of us do a little research before snatching the first twenty dollar product with a fancy sticker on it. You CAN use only a resistor and it will not hurt anything if you use the correct resistor. What you need is a wire wound resistor known as a CHASSIS MOUNT RESISTOR or LOAD RESISTOR. these are either a small ceramic block or a little aluminum heat sink tube (more expensive) Every scoot ive installed these on was simply a 5-8 ohm 50W Resistor (ceramic type) with some heat shrink tube to keep the wires neat. run one side of the resistor to turn signal power and other to chassis and boom. you are drawing enough current to trip the flasher. Not rocket science. Note:these do get hot thats how they use power, by generating heat. so mount them with that in mind. So if you are going to be riding in a parade with your 4ways on for an hour at 1.5mph torturing your air cooled Vtwin they might get hot, but they all do. storebought kits are just in a 10cent plastic case to keep the heat off stuff. But they arent going to get as hot as the poor engine that has been idling for an hour with no breeze.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Jake McSwegin
Stage II
Old 05-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jake McSwegin
I wouldn't be so quick to call this guy a doofus for using resistors. All a load equalizer is is a resistor. Period. Some of us do a little research before snatching the first twenty dollar product with a fancy sticker on it. You CAN use only a resistor and it will not hurt anything if you use the correct resistor. What you need is a wire wound resistor known as a CHASSIS MOUNT RESISTOR or LOAD RESISTOR. these are either a small ceramic block or a little aluminum heat sink tube (more expensive) Every scoot ive installed these on was simply a 5-8 ohm 50W Resistor (ceramic type) with some heat shrink tube to keep the wires neat. run one side of the resistor to turn signal power and other to chassis and boom. you are drawing enough current to trip the flasher. Not rocket science. Note:these do get hot thats how they use power, by generating heat. so mount them with that in mind. So if you are going to be riding in a parade with your 4ways on for an hour at 1.5mph torturing your air cooled Vtwin they might get hot, but they all do. storebought kits are just in a 10cent plastic case to keep the heat off stuff. But they arent going to get as hot as the poor engine that has been idling for an hour with no breeze.

Just so you know - you replied to a thread from 2011 lol but thanks for the input.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:23 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Badlands. I've never had any issues. Been going for over a year now.

ahhhh I fell for it. Old thread.