Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom bike and insurance ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 AM
prost34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom bike and insurance ?

I am almost done with my deluxe,went from a stocker to a custom,,in the hotrod world i have to show proof of the money and time in a car for insurance,,what do you guys do in the bike world?,god forbid something happens to my bike i dont want the insurance company to hand me a check for a stock bike,,,

Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just asking, how is it a Custom? Did you modify the frame? I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that unless you modify the frame in some way, the VIN number is always going to be an HD number, which is what the insurance company is going to look at..
If you're trying to get all your custom parts insured, then let the insurance company know the estimated value of the accessories you've added. At least, that's what Rider Insurance does up here in Jersey, but idk about Florida.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't know about the States but in the U.K you can get Harley insurance which is like for like,you get a form which the dealer fills in, with the value of the bike plus the value of the extras you've put on the it, you send that up with the rest of your renewal paperwork including 2 pics of the bike as proof, if the bike is stolen, wrecked what ever, you get the full amount thats stated on the dealers paperwork.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Prost: If you've raked the frame, technically that will get your insurance cancelled. If you've just put a ton of money into your bike with custom parts, etc, you are fine. On your current policy there's an endorsement for extra coverage for accessories. Call your agent and review what you've done. I'd also bring the bike in for photo's and give your agent a copy of all your receipts. Having the bike appraised is also a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

How about some pics??

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Generally call and tell them how much you have in accessories and pay more for your incaseshit.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to show recipts for all my after market **** loco. My company no recipt equals no re embursment.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM
SMF
Banned

Also don't know about your company but mine doesn't cover labor

Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default insurance

I was told i could add 7000 dollars and it was only about 100 dollars a year more but once i went over that they were looking for $800.00 more

Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Also don't know about your company but mine doesn't cover labor
I bet most companies won't. I know with progressive when I was getting a quote for the new bike, they allow up to a certain dollar amount on the policy and then you can adjust for a higher dollar amount based on what you have on there. They never asked what was on there tough. Maybe I'll insure it for $50,000 in accessories and have it "stolen".

Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
inaroush
Road Captain

I am in the insurance industry for 22+ years. I am also in the process of putting together a proprietary insurance program for bikers like me who have a lot of cash and time into their bikes. It is called an Agreed Value endorsement and the policy should be avail shortly. Once it is I will post here for all to enjoy.

Last edited by inaroush; 10-17-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: custom bike and insurance ?