Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I fix front end dive when braking hard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
spelk3
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I agree. These will transform the fork action. I had Progressive Suspension springs and didn't really like the response. Put the stock springs back in with the intiminators and the difference is quite amazing.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spelk3
I agree. These will transform the fork action. I had Progressive Suspension springs and didn't really like the response. Put the stock springs back in with the intiminators and the difference is quite amazing.

Did you try the progressive springs with the Intimidators? IMO the Progressive standard or heavy duty are far better that stock springs.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
spelk3
Club Member

Originally Posted by TheTroupe
Did you try the progressive springs with the Intimidators? IMO the Progressive standard or heavy duty are far better that stock springs.
I contacted Ricor and asked them what springs they recommend and they prefered the stock springs. The intimnators really firm up the stock springs, Progressives may be too stiff. They are a inertial damper and can tell the difference between a bump and hitting the brakes. Soft for the bump and stiff for the brakes.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,801 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Race Tech gold valves should also be considered.You can do quite a bit of adjusting and fine tuning to make your front end work a lot better. Granted your not gonna get sport bike results but you will get a bike that is a lot more stable and fun to ride.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I am 6'4" and 280 so I changed the oil out with SE heavy fork oil and no more issues. Start with the simple **** first. If that's not enough then breack out the check book.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I second this.

Drew
I 3rd or 4th this whatever we are up to.Progressive drop in kit lowered 2" with Ricor Intiminators.Couldn't be happier

Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by back again
Race Tech gold valves should also be considered.You can do quite a bit of adjusting and fine tuning to make your front end work a lot better. Granted your not gonna get sport bike results but you will get a bike that is a lot more stable and fun to ride.
I have done hours of research on this and as we all know harley has a very inferior suspension, actually it's terrible. All the above mentioned will definately improve the ride signifigantly. I personally choose Race Tech gold valve and Ohlins rear shocks on my bagger and shotgun air ride on my softy and will also be going with Race Tech up front on it.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Never heard of the Ricor Intiminators, I am definitely going to try them out.
I need rear shocks bad but if you guys like these over the progressive springs I'm gonna give it a try. THANKS!

All my sport bikes I put in springs and race tech gold valve.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had both stock and Progressive drop-ins and the overall ride is better with the stock springs. The progressive's are a little stiff, on a washbord road they skip over the top of the bumps where the stock springs follow them more. I'm going to try the ricors over the winter

Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 442 Likes on 247 Posts

You add 10mm of fork oil (same as you have) to the existing fork oil height at a time. Try it out than after a few trys than adjust to taste. This is called adjusting the air spring. This only increases the value of resistance (logarithmically) at the top end of the stroke. The same resistance you are trying to improve. Below is the result of different oil heights using the same 30mm Ohlins valving on a shock dyno. The only thing that changes is the oil height. It is necessary to think what you are doing and read about a subject first than do.

Quick Reply: How do I fix front end dive when braking hard?