Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I know the (EITMS) is turned in by the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

My 04 Sporty had it and so did my 05 fatboy

Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 PM
taximan62
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retracted

Last edited by taximan62; 09-03-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by taximan62
If you took the time to read your manual it is very simple and clear.

Enable/Disable EITMS
1. Turn the ignition ON with the bike at idle and not moving (the bike may be running or not running).
2. Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold.
3. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator (looks like the spedometer symbol) will flash either red (disabled) or green (enabled).
4. Repeat procedure to change.
That only works on the TBW touring bikes. Softails have no cruise control or light. Read a Softail owners manual there is nothing in it about the EITMS.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dayum GINA .............. just RIDE THE DAMN THING!!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phatboy2010
When did they start putting it on the softails...? I thought this was a bagger thing...
As far as I know I didnt see it on Harleys website till 2011 Fat Boys came out.
It was mentioned in the " features" section of the webpage on the bike.

I did read that it is not factory set to on. You have to get your dealer to turn it on.

I can't find any other info about EITMS on it on Harley's website.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jester750
As far as I know I didnt see it on Harleys website till 2011 Fat Boys came out.
It was mentioned in the " features" section of the webpage on the bike.

I did read that it is not factory set to on. You have to get your dealer to turn it on.

I can't find any other info about EITMS on it on Harley's website.

I read somewhere when the topic came up a few months ago that the Touring bikes came with it turned on from the factory starting in 2009. It was also available in the bikes ECM on all other models starting that year as well, but you have to go to the dealer to turn it on. If you have a 2009 or higher bike, grab your throttle control, and instead of rolling it backwards, roll it forward..it should move enough that you can feel it, if it does, you have the feature available, though just not turned on. And i hear in the 2009/2010 models, even with it activated in the computer, to actually use it, this is the position the throttle has to be in.. so you sit in traffic with your hand in the grip rolling it forward to shut off the rear cylinder... that's just what I've read, I don't know the truth to it, because I don't have it turned on in my bike.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

EITMS is mentioned on page 84 of the 2010 Softail owners manual (note: not the service manual). It is enabled by the dealer. No mention of it in the service manual.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
morbidintent
Stage IV
Default eitms

My first question, if you do not trust your dealer has enabled eitms after you have asked them to, why would you take your bike to them?

Once eitms is enabled by a dealership, you can activate or deactivate it by rolling your throttle forward with the bike idling in nuetral. once it is enabled it will automatically shut down the cylinder as needed. there is no need to turn it on or off once you have it set unless you would like to change it from enabled or disabled or vice versa. More specific information on eitms is found in the electric diagnostic manual. You should have a cruise control indicator on your softtail. this does not mean you have cruise, it is used as an eitms indicator. I am having trouble figuring out why you would need to let your bike sit and idle long enough to do damage to the engine with or without eitms. Your air-cooled motor is cooled by air flow primarily. Oil coolers and eitms help reduce engine temperature, but neither will prevent you air-cooled engine from overheating while sitting still. Remember, after initial shut down of your engine, it can heat up an additional 5-10 degrees as the heat disipates.

My suggestion, find a dealer that you trust. Your new softtail has a 2 year factory warranty and it is completely computerized. These two things are reason enough to have a dealership[ you trust considering that there are not many repairs that can be performed without harley authorized software.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Stage I

It's seems that no one has a conclusive view on whether the 2012 fatboys have EITMS. I have never felt it engage and I'm riding down in Costa Rica where the altitude and tempurature changes quickly. The dealer doesn't even know for sure. Is there anybody who knows for sure if these bikes have them and how we can turn them on ourselves. Or how do we know it is turned on. Is there any other clue besides when it shuts off the rear cylinder ???

Old 07-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I now know for a fact that 2010-2012 fatboys have EITMS.
I had it Turned on with both my 2010 & 2012 Fatboy Lo's
Here are the facts:
It is not turned on at the factory.
It must be turned on by your dealer by hooking it up to their computer that programs the ECM.
You have to request that they turn it on.

It does not turn on and off with twisting the throttle forward like on the touring models. Once it is turned on it can only be turned off or back on by the dealer. (But who would bother doing that.).

I also had problems convincing my dealer it existed on the softails and to get him to turn it on. After I showed him where it says it in the manual they finally believed me and researched how to do it and turned it on for me. (page 90 of the U.S. Softail Models Owner's Manual)
Here is the website for it: https://www.harley-davidson.com/app-...IL/file-6.html

I have found the only other way to turn it on is by using my Dynojet Powervision. I can even set the temp I want it to turn on. But that route takes money and time to learn how to program it which some may not want to do.

I have found something superior to the EITMS to cool the engine.
It costs a few bucks but is well worth the price.
I installed a FCS cooling fan from WardsPartsWorks.com it keeps the engine way cooler. It keeps it so cool that the ETIMS has never kicked on since I installed it. Installation only took about 15 minutes with simple tools. It has been working flawlessly for a year and a half now and I am very pleased with it.
He is also a member on the forum and offers a discount to forum members and military. There are a lot of members here that use it and are very satisfied with its engine cooling abilities. Do a forum search for "FCS" and you can read all about it. Here is the original thread when he was designing it : https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tem-again.html

Quick Reply: How Do I know the (EITMS) is turned in by the Dealer