Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine pings

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine pings

08 FatBoy-stock 96 motor/intake/exhaust. When riding down the highway or passing, when I crack the throttle hard I hear a few clicks or pings coming from the motor. They stop when the RPM settles out. Only happens when running in a higher RPM range and the motor does not seem to be losing any power. It's done this as long as I've had the bike (1.5 years). I run premium fuel, 91 or higher if they have it. Comments...

Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run some Sea Form though there and see if that cleans it out.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

My 07 Luxe does the same thing. Has stage 1 on it. I took it to H.D. last week to run it on the dyno to see whats going on with it. The Tech told me its common to have slight ping and the computer is suppose to take it away after a couple seconds. Sounds like B.S. to me but he ran it and printed out the results. Every thing looks clean. It still pings on excell in high gear. Hasnt burned down yet. Run it.

Stone

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by t stone
... The Tech told me its common to have slight ping and the computer is suppose to take it away after a couple seconds. Sounds like B.S. to me but he ran it and printed out the results. ...
No BS. The ECM monitors the combustion based on the various sensors on the bike and continuously adjusts the timing of fuel and spark. If pinging/knocking occurs the ECM will adjust to prevent it.

"Front and rear coils fire each spark plug independently (one
cylinder at a time - no wasted spark). The coil also has an
extra terminal to monitor current on the coil secondary circuit.
This is used for knock detection and combustion diagnostics."

Reasons for pinging/knocking could be:
- a too low fuel octane rating
- faulty or incorrect spark plugs
- too much carbon deposit in cylinder or on the piston
- ignition timing being advanced due to wrong sensor inputs from the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) and/or Crankshaft Position sensor (CKP).

Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

its lean my 06 did this untill i used a tts mastertune . if its needing the knock senor to reduce the pinging then something needs to be tuned. adjust the fuel and timing etc. these bike should not ping unless your lugging the motor bad in the wrong gear!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

As I mentioned, it is a stock motor and I always use the highest premium fuel at the pump. I only hear a few pings when I get on it hard and, no I'm not lugging the motor in the wrong gear. I'll start cheap with the plugs and go from there.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the ping is detonation, wouldn't a set of XiED's richen him out just a bit and help to prevent this?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

I'm also adding a V&H Big Radius 2-1 and a FuelPak. I'll see where I am after the mix is changed.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

even a stock bike will ping. my bike was so lean the headers glowed cherry red after a night ride!! in stock trim, it only had 2000 miles on it when i noticed! the only way i got rid of the pinging was to go stage 1 and retard the timing in the area that i was exp. the pinging and richen the a/f. after that my pipes stoped glowing and the bike ran so much better!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakthi
No BS. The ECM monitors the combustion based on the various sensors on the bike and continuously adjusts the timing of fuel and spark. If pinging/knocking occurs the ECM will adjust to prevent it.

"Front and rear coils fire each spark plug independently (one
cylinder at a time - no wasted spark). The coil also has an
extra terminal to monitor current on the coil secondary circuit.
This is used for knock detection and combustion diagnostics."

Reasons for pinging/knocking could be:
- a too low fuel octane rating
- faulty or incorrect spark plugs
- too much carbon deposit in cylinder or on the piston
- ignition timing being advanced due to wrong sensor inputs from the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) and/or Crankshaft Position sensor (CKP).
Rakthi, I run non ethinol super in my sled as much as I can, (where its available). I havent checked the plugs in a while, Cant be carbon build up, I ride it like I stole it, Wouldnt H.D. have cought any (MAP) issues when they ran it on the Dyno?

Stone

Quick Reply: Engine pings