Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Stage 2 Kit vs. 2012 Models.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 103 Stage 2 Kit vs. 2012 Models.

Well I should of done my homework last winter. If I would of known that the 2012 softail models were coming out with a 103, I probably would of waited and not bought the 2011. Now I have my bike booked next week for the 103 screaming eagle kit (super tuned, bore and cam)...which comes to about $3.5k. From what I understand is that the base price hasn't changed much between the 2 models. If there was a difference, I wouldnt care. So basically I am spending close to 3k without the super tune to turn my bike into a 2012?

Anyways, I am sort of pissed off at my dealership more than anything. They should of warned me last February when I threw down the cash for the 2011.

Oh well, my 2011 is now part of me and I shouldn't be looking back...but still.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Does the stage 2 kit come with cams? Heads? I would imagine for that price it comes with both. The 103 upgrade of just cylinders and pistons is about $900 in parts. Post a link to what kit they are putting on. Just for example...this kit comes with cams too but not heads.

Drew

Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering how secretive the MoCo is with their new model releases, I doubt your dealership sales guys knew themselves that the 12's would have the 103. If they did, it still might have been a rumor. There's also no way any good sales person would steer a customer to a different model year when their release is a good 6-7 mos away. Considering the state of the economy, they need to get the sales upfront...not months down the road....those days are gone gone gone...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Does the stage 2 kit come with cams? Heads? I would imagine for that price it comes with both. The 103 upgrade of just cylinders and pistons is about $900 in parts. Post a link to what kit they are putting on. Just for example...this kit comes with cams too but not heads.

Drew
W/ heads...my spec sheet is at the office. Total stage 2 pack.

I will post the specs in the next day or two.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WarriorHD
Considering how secretive the MoCo is with their new model releases, I doubt your dealership sales guys knew themselves that the 12's would have the 103. If they did, it still might have been a rumor. There's also no way any good sales person would steer a customer to a different model year when their release is a good 6-7 mos away. Considering the state of the economy, they need to get the sales upfront...not months down the road....those days are gone gone gone...
Aye I understand...but the owner is a great friend of my uncles. So in trust I did. Where I live in Calgary, the bikes sell fast. Atm the dealership is down to a few bikes from their summer stock....I doubt it was a desperate sale. But ya, probably sell today and who cares about tomorrow mindset. Also, I don't buy into that they didn't know. Since their next batches will be 2012 and must have some info what they are getting into for the year.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 AM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being a car guy who got into the bike scene a few years ago, the whole stage 1, stage 2, etc. etc. thing to me is too vague and with aftermarket parts can mean something different to different people. The fact that you're doing heads and cams too makes a huge difference in performance and price. I would bet that the 12's heads aren't any different than the 11's. Hell, the 110" CVO's use the same throttle body as the 96". If you're gonna bore it out anyway, why not go to 106"? Same amount of work, same money.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Josewales
Well I should of done my homework last winter. If I would of known that the 2012 softail models were coming out with a 103, I probably would of waited and not bought the 2011. Now I have my bike booked next week for the 103 screaming eagle kit (super tuned, bore and cam)...which comes to about $3.5k. From what I understand is that the base price hasn't changed much between the 2 models. If there was a difference, I wouldnt care. So basically I am spending close to 3k without the super tune to turn my bike into a 2012?

Anyways, I am sort of pissed off at my dealership more than anything. They should of warned me last February when I threw down the cash for the 2011.

Oh well, my 2011 is now part of me and I shouldn't be looking back...but still.
If your shelling out 3.5K for a stage 2 H-D kit you should be pissed at your dealer , I have stage 2 cylinders pistons and 255 cams and it cost me under 1400.00 installed at my dealer

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Josewales
if you bore to 103, install cams, super tuner and have it dyno tuned there will no comparison between a 2011 and 2012. You will so much happier with your build than you ever would with the stock 2012 103. I'm assuming you already have new exhaust and A/C.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM
M4arc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the Stage 2 on your bike. You'll be stoked and it will kick the crap out of a bone stock 103.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean, I have one of the 'soon-to-be-rare' 96" Blacklines. Seems like they could have started it with the 103" motor.

My Indy does a Big Bore install in the winter for less than $1k, so I figure that's the difference between the two. You will be getting much more than a regular 103" motor when its done.

Quick Reply: 103 Stage 2 Kit vs. 2012 Models.