Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cure for back pain is.......a Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011 | 01:38 AM
deadeye
|
Road Warrior
Question Cure for back pain is.......a Road King?

I love my Train but after a couple hours on the bike I get burning pain between the shoulder blades. Switched the stock bars for 8" T-bars and it got a little better. Then I went 12.5" apes and it got a little better, but no cure. I figured it was just me and at 45 I couldn't ride all day like I used to.

I just got back from training in HI where I rented a beautiful 2010 Road King from Big Kahuna (http://www.bigkahunarentals.com/ --They are great people by the way). I rode for 9 hours all over Oahu, stopping only shortly for lunch and gas. At the end of the day I felt GREAT. I felt like I could keep going all night.

If AAFES still sold US spec bikes in Japan I'd already have my deposit in on a 2012 103" RK. But they don't so I'm left wondering what it is about that bike that makes such a difference in comfort.

Old 08-28-2011 | 08:40 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by deadeye
I'm left wondering what it is about that bike that makes such a difference in comfort.
almost everything about the 2 bikes is different . seat , footboards vs forwards , bars , windshield . hard to figure which one is causing your back pain .
i know i've seen messages here about going with higher apes to relieve back pain , maybe you need 14" or 16" . maybe you just need a road king

Old 08-28-2011 | 08:47 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Roadking with Heritage bars is a Tough set up to beat for back comfort.. Nothing Further Needed ..

Old 08-28-2011 | 08:50 AM
kdichs1015
Tourer

I had the same pain between my shoulder blades. I bought bars that were a bit higher, but changed the angle of my hands on the grip. This is probably why the RK worked for you.

Old 08-28-2011 | 08:53 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Same way I feel about our Heritage. Son had 07Deuce and a 09NT that I stored during the winter.

I rode both of them for about 45 mins a couple times. I wouldn't want to ride either one of them any more than that.

No comparison in the Ride or Ergo's of those two bikes to mine and he had the same issue of pain after riding 1 1/2 -2hrs with both of them.

That's the reason the Son now has a new Street Glide.

Old 08-28-2011 | 09:57 AM
tattoofever
Tourer

ive had the same issues ,it was always my short arms, bar replacement on my streetglide solved it 100%

Old 08-28-2011 | 12:06 PM
LuxHD
Advanced

Maybe try a kidney belt. It could be your posture. I know its made my ride more comfortable by making me sit more upright and doesn't jostle your guts around.

Old 08-28-2011 | 05:02 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

try a set of Helibars. www.helibars.com They don't look bad, but the best thing is that they are adjustable and can get your arms out straight with no bend in your wrists. I tried a set out in Laconia and was very tempted, but I really find mine pretty good as is. Might be worth changing the seat too. I'd hate to see you go to the dark side.

Old 08-28-2011 | 05:59 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default One Step Further!

Originally Posted by deadeye
I just got back from training in HI where I rented a beautiful 2010 Road King. I rode for 9 hours all over Oahu, stopping only shortly for lunch and gas. At the end of the day I felt GREAT. I felt like I could keep going all night.

If AAFES still sold US spec bikes in Japan I'd already have my deposit in on a 2012 103" RK. But they don't so I'm left wondering what it is about that bike that makes such a difference in comfort.
Try adding a set of Heritage style bars and an adjustable backrest. On my 09 I added a Sundowner also!

Old 08-28-2011 | 08:25 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Sundowner here also. Taller bars, moved the floor boards forward 1 1/2" and foot pegs on the crash bar. Unbelievable how comfortable the bike is now. Totally different ride.

Quick Reply: Cure for back pain is.......a Road King?