Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Test: Successful Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:28 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Electrical Test: Successful Failure

So, I put on some 18" apes and re-wired the rear for installing Custom Dynamics' 3 in 1 dynamic cluster LEDs (among a bunch of other mods) and wanted to make sure the electrical was in order before I fired 'er up. I went ahead and set the tank back on w/o bolting it down, re-connected everything, turned on the ignition switch (with heart racing) and started with lights first:

Headlight: ✓
Front running light: ✓
Rear running lights: ✓ (sweet! my LEDs are working and wired correctly so far)
Front and rear brake lights: ✓ (cool!)
Right turn signals ✓ (awesome! 3 for 3 and that means the load EQ is doing its job as well)
Over to the left side~
Left turn signal: ✕ (CRAP! Nothing! Front or rear. Something wrong there)
Okay, that's all the lights. Let's try the horn while I'm on this side...
Horn: Bike lurches forward! "what th...???" Bike tries to start when pressing the horn??? How does that even happen?? Left and right control harnesses are totally segregated! Even if I totally screwed up the wiring on both the left and right sides, how does the horn and start switch get crossed??? Can't even cross the Molex connectors. Left is an 8 pin and the right is a 6 pin, so I know that didn't happen...

Went ahead and turned off the ignition switch, put it in neutral, pulled the plug wires and turned the ignition switch back on. Whoa! Now the bike is turning over just by turning the ignition switch to on, so I hit the horn switch, but it doesn't stop. Then I hit the kill switch on the right side and it stops. Oh, goody! THAT works.

So...it looks like the right hand controls are all pretty much wired correctly and working (no real way to tell if the start switch works at this time), but the left controls are all screwed up. I think it's a short somewhere, because I made diagrams of the connectors and double checked my wiring against both the diagrams AND the service manual. Don't think I screwed up the extensions either. I double checked there, too.

At least the rear wiring, LEDs and load EQ seem to be working okay, so I'm pretty stoked about that, but...

Guess I'll pull the tank off again, and check the wiring at both the extension joints and at the left switch housing to start with. Wish me luck.

Oh, and if any of you wiring/electrical experts here have any input or suggestions on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for reading...

Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM
2WHEELFEVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you did your apes did you unpin the stock plugs? if so did you mix up the order the wires go in?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a short somewhere in the left side controls. I think you activated the starter relay when you added ground to the horn circuit and now the relay is engaged. Pull apart the connector for the left side and flip the ignition back on and see what you have. I would guess the starter will stop spinning.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start by checking the load equalizer wiring. It sounds to me like it might be wired wrong.

Two things lead me to believe that's where the problem is. The fact that the left turn signals don't come on at all, and also a load equalizer consists of resistors going to ground, so if it's connected to the wrong wire(s) it could cause very strange things to happen.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,075 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
have any input or suggestions on this,

1. Always wire one thing at a time...add apes... get them working... THEN add 3 in 1 dynamic cluster LEDs
  2. Remove your starter relay...then it will not be cranking while you are trying to troubleshoot the problem.
  3. don't psych yourself out...wiring is simpler than most folks think...get your schematic and meter, trace it out...you will find it.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:42 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for the comments and input. I'll start by disconnecting the load EQ and rear wiring harness and troubleshoot from there. I can't do anything until Monday, tho.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd take out the left side wiring and check to make sure all wires are in the correct sockets. It's real easy to put them in upside down and such.

Drew