Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is that your motorcycle outside ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
lewintennessee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
From my experience, I WOULD NOT let the insurance handle it if possible. Any time you can leave out YOUR insurance company I WOULD. Some fu**** insurance companies hold the accident AGAINST YOU! Doesn't matter who was at fault or if you were even there or not. YOUR RATES MIGHT BE AFFECTED! I would find the cost as fast as possible (with a certified shop doing the work) and collect IN CASH in full! Any BS on the others guys part wouldn't be tollerated. NO BARGAINING!!! After that if not collected immediately, I would turn it in to the insurance company!
Ditto next to lawyers and banks insurance companies are the lowest

Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if I would give him a break. Hit him for $850 and get the pipes you want and a few refreshments to have during the job.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
billsantos
Cruiser
Default Update..

First I want to say to everyone of your guys comments have been going thru my mind : Use my insurance and don't. Give the guy slack or don't and check the header bolts. Seem OK but I didn't remove them for a good check. I think if he hit it that hard, the MC would have went down.

So i got him on the phone (2nd try), gave him the dealer estimate, offered to give him the slack. The $700 cash or file the claim at the $850. Turns out this guy coped to it with his company. Rental truck they've had for 5 months while doing this local job so their not sure if they took the rental insurance (seem kinda stupid for them not to). They'll contact the rental company Monday and if not, I give them a copy of the estimate and they will pay it. Told him it's got to be cash/check to me and I'm not waiting long for them to figure it out or I'll just OK my insurance to go ahead and process it and let them fight it out.. Now that he knows I'll take cash, I would think if he could afford the 7 bills, he'd just pay me and get it over with, I would. Insurance already OK'ed the repair, doesn't go against me.. Insurance is Geico and seem real good about this..course then I'm stuck for $250 deducible... least i was able to pound out the damage and the MC is rideable tho the chrome looks like ****.. Still don't know which way to go on the exhaust.. Spent time and money modifing the undamaged V&H slip-ons to get the sound I wanted.. We'll see i guess. Thanks for the comments

Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 PM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have him pay up within a couple of days or roll'em

Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mke125125
no need for special tool. the right size box end wrench does the same thing,been awhile but i think my 07 was 1"1/4. anyway at least the the dude had nuts enough to come find you. go lite chat happens.
EVERY 02 I've ever seen is a 7/8 or a 22mm will work also. Done a lot of them.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billsantos
Insurance already OK'ed the repair, doesn't go against me.. Insurance is Geico and seem real good about this..course then I'm stuck for $250 deducible... least i was able to pound out the damage and the MC is rideable tho the chrome looks like ****.. Still don't know which way to go on the exhaust.. Spent time and money modifing the undamaged V&H slip-ons to get the sound I wanted.. We'll see i guess. Thanks for the comments

WHAT? Nevada doesn't require liability insurance on all vehicles??

Have HIS insurance company repair your ride. If your company does it, they should pay in full then go after him.

I've never heard of a deductable where you're not at fault.

9 out of 10 times, the "I'll pay cash for the damage, don't tell my insurance company" ends up bad.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mal74
WHAT? Nevada doesn't require liability insurance on all vehicles??

Have HIS insurance company repair your ride. If your company does it, they should pay in full then go after him.

I've never heard of a deductable where you're not at fault.

9 out of 10 times, the "I'll pay cash for the damage, don't tell my insurance company" ends up bad.

That's a good point, they do require proof at the time you register a vehicle but in therory you could cancel it the next day. Insurance might notify the DMV but their not coming out and pulling the sticker off the car. No one would be the wiser till next year or you get pulled over for something and have to produce proof for the cop. **** load of people driving around with no insurance. You can get Uninsured Motorist coverage added on your policy and wouldn't have to pay a penny out of pocket but it adds about a third to the cost of coverage. More than my deductible. I think it's a rip to be honest. I haven't had to use insurance in years but if I remember how it worked, Theirs (the at fault driver) would have to pay the whole cost but it takes time and hassel to deal with them yourself. So you use yours and get the repairs done pronto, let them go after the other guys insurance and when/if they recover the cost from the other company you get the deductible refunded. But your right, in the big picture I shouldn't have to pay anything. I need to check into that. As far as the Rental Truck the guy was driving that hit me, it would have to be insured by the Rental company at least.

When I hear the "I'll pay cash", first thing goes thru my mind is 'F%#K Me'

Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by billsantos
Insurance already OK'ed the repair, doesn't go against me.. Insurance is Geico and seem real good about this..course then I'm stuck for $250 deducible... least i was able to pound out the damage and the MC is rideable tho the chrome looks like ****.. Still don't know which way to go on the exhaust.. Spent time and money modifing the undamaged V&H slip-ons to get the sound I wanted.. We'll see i guess. Thanks for the comments
If you have collision, your insurance company should pay the claim, less deductable, and then collect and forward thru the deductable amount from THE OTHER GUYS insurance company!

YOU SHOULD NOT INCUR ANY COST!