Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing exhaust pipes to clean???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
fishnutz1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing exhaust pipes to clean???

I have thunder headers on my 1999 softail standard. I can see pitted rust on the back side of the pipes. My question is how do remove the rust? And also is it pretty simple to get the pipes on and off? When I bought the bike some of the pipes were yellow and I was able to remove a lot of it with a product called blue job. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the only way to get all the dirt and rust off of every spot on your motorcycle is to disassemble it. This shows up when you clean your bike really well and then do service on it an pull something apart. It's amazing how much dirt and grime sticks all over those places you can't see or reach. However, tearing your bike apart to clean it is really overkill.

I'm not sure about your pipes, some are really easy to take off, some are more difficult. My White Bros E series 2into1 pipes are super easy. Four manifold bolts and two bolts on the rear hanger and the pipes are off. If I have the chrome rail on the right side floorboard, I have to pull the floorboard which is two more bolts. My gf's Sportster is a 2004 which has the rear mounts bolted to the engine since the motor is rubber mounted. This is much more difficult to take apart and put back together and get everything lined up right.

Also, if you're going to pull them apart, make sure you have a set of manifold crush gaskets on hand. You probably won't need them but sooner or later after enough R&Rs, you're going to have to replace them. They're cheap and it's a lot easier to have them in your parts bin than have to go and get them.

As far as getting the rust off, use the least abrasive cleaner you can find. Most of the chrome cleaners at an auto parts store are pretty good. Some people swear by crumpled up aluminum foil dipped in water. If this isn't going to remove the rust, you waited too long and there's not much you can do about it other than clean it the best you can and keep the rust spot from getting bigger. The products that are made to remove the blueing are more harsh. Remember that what you're really doing is removing the blued chrome. Do this enough times and you'll see the nickel backing (sounds like a bad rock group). Do this and you'll wish you put up with the blue color or bought heat shields. Easiest way to keep the pipes free from rust is keep them clean and spray them down with Lemon Pledge. Brake dust is hell on your pipes so the most important thing is to keep them clean all the time.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:46 PM
fishnutz1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply

Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Cleaning exhaust

I think most folks prefer a paste chrome cleaner and polish. I am a fan of Mothers products and find their liquid chrome cleaner hard to beat. I have tried several pastes and liquids & think Mothers liquid is best. Several coats and plenty of clean terry cloths and elbo grease. I would not use an abrasive steel wool, aluminum or anything like that. If you take exhaust apart I have read to replace all hardware and gaskets. Bolts, nuts and clamps stretch and fatigue like gaskets do. I think exhaust leaks promote backfire and gurgling.

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 08-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I've had really good luck with a product called Neverdul. It's like a wool that's full of chrome polish. It seems really good for getting those little rust pits out of things, or if the chrome is really bad, but, DO NOT use it on parts that are in plain view. I say this because it can leave more swirl marks then cream polish with a soft cloth. I use it for just what you are doing, along with a few other places, and also use them on my rims because the have enough scratches on them from road grime that it's not making them any worse. Hope that helps.