Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Headlight Options...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Headlight Options...

I love everything about my Heritage, but I need to upgrade the headlights. They just ain't cutting it for my 50 something eyes. I have mild diabetic cataracts and my night vision isn't as good as it used to be.

The low beam gives good lighting right in front of the bike and the high beam just seems to light up the air above the road. I checked out the HD LED's, but they are $$$$$$$$$. Anyone know of a cheaper, better alternative to the stock lights?

Old 08-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean. My right eye is getting the same condition. I mostly try not to even ride at night but that's not always an option. Thinking of getting the led unit for just the headlight. A biker lawyer here in NC told me that it's one of the best things you can buy for both night riding and daytime visibility. Thought I'd leave my passing lights 'as is' for back-up to get me home in case the led unit would quit. Isn't there another option, haligen or something, between stock and led?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I put the HD LED on my bike and couldn't be happier.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior

Thanks, Guess I'll start saving up for one of the LED's. Sounds like the right choice, even if it costs $$$$$$$$$$ I just need something better for riding in rural areas at night.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:45 AM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

great question! I am 33 and also desire more visibility.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Jedx66
Advanced

Hey Folks,

I live a rural area and work in the City here in Halifax Nova Scotia. Bought my Heritage this spring and had the LED's installed. Couple of video's out there that sold me on it. One is on the Harley website and the other was on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1yqWTU71DM

I got both the center and the highway lights. In terms of performance they are much better than stock. The low beam in particular really lights up the road in front of you. I live far enough out of the City that I have a few sections without street lights and it's these sections that the LED's really "shine".

I paid close to 1200 CDN for the complete package installed. Worth it? I constantly question it...except when I'm riding those sections of road without street lights.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 AM
rob i
Road Master

I have the h4 extreme white on my bike and it seems to be very good. Much brighter than stock and not too much $$.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Old 08-21-2011, 12:35 PM
rsarno
Road Master

Originally Posted by rob i
I have the h4 extreme white on my bike and it seems to be very good. Much brighter than stock and not too much $$.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
How much of an improvement was this over stock?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
How much of an improvement was this over stock?
I put one of the Sylvania H4 bulbs in my gf's Sportster. I believe it was the 80/100 watt silverstar. It's a very blue light compared to standard halogen and really lights up the road much better than a halogen. It's nothing compared to the HID kits but for $15 it's quite an improvement. Also, when we're on a club ride at night and she's a few bikes behind me, I can always tell where she is from the color of the headlight.

Too bad my '93 has a sealed beam. When I get down to it on the list, I'll probably put a set of LED headlight and passing lights on mine.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:39 PM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what I did to my '08 heritage, and i am absolutely thrilled with the results. After a lot of reading and studying, I decided to take a chance and go with a HID conversion with an E-code headlamp. I got a 7" Hella E-code, H-4 headlamp for a Jeep, from www.quadratec.com. I got a hi/low h4 type hid kit from www.ddmtuning.com. These were the cheapest places when I did mine. The light fit pretty well, but I decided to cut the 3 stand-off tabs off the back of the light, and I made a big o-ring from some small diameter soft tubing, to fit between the light and the housing, to make it all nice and snug. It really took just a few extra minutes. The cost was just a little over a hundred dollars I believe, and it made a remarkable difference. This setup does NOT cause blinding of oncoming traffic. The cutoff of the E-code lamp is great. It's almost like a horizontal "bar" of light projected down the road. And, this sucker is bright! The distance I can see down the road and in the ditches has greatly increased.

Quick Reply: Heritage Headlight Options...