Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Headlight Options...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:42 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJ58
The low beam gives good lighting right in front of the bike and the high beam just seems to light up the air above the road.
Have you tried adjusting them? The high beam might be aimed a little too high (lighting up trees more than the road) and the low beam might be aimed a little too low. Until you upgrade, adjusting the ones you have might give you some improvement.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed to this headlight:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

These passing lamps:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

and this modulator for daytime use:

http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm

I don't know how much brighter the LED setup is over what I have, but I'm more than happy with the light output .... lots brighter than stock, imo.

Whatever lighting system you use, make sure they're aimed properly cause they won't light up your world if not !!

Last edited by Mal74; 08-21-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 PM
decay
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Headlights

I have an "09 Heritage and I upgraded my headlights this summer. I bought 'Truck Lites" brand LEDs. If you google Truck Lites, you'll find a lot of info on them including a video comparing them to Harleys's LEDs. The conclusion that the video producers came to was that the Truck Lite brand LEDs had better visibility duting the day and from the side than the HD brand. Both are excellent during the night. I found a dealer in Illinois that had the cheapest price on line and my local indy matched that price. I believe Kuryakyn also sells Truck Lites. I paid a bit over $500 for the main beam and both aux lights, and if I had done a little more research on the aux lights, I could have saved another $40. I installed them myself in about a half hour. Flawless performance--absolutely no complaints on the lights.
I do wish I knew how the rewire the lighting system so the aux lights stayed on when I'm on high beam at night. That would really light up the road ditches

Old 08-21-2011, 09:20 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pnw_hd_rider
Have you tried adjusting them? The high beam might be aimed a little too high (lighting up trees more than the road) and the low beam might be aimed a little too low. Until you upgrade, adjusting the ones you have might give you some improvement.
I thought about that and still might adjust the aim of the low beam a little higher, but it will also move the high beam up more as well. The low beam is pointed way too low. Lots of great suggestions here! Really appreciate them all. I think I;ll start with just a bulb change and eventually get the LED light. Not sure yet though.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 PM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just be aware that old eyes don't see the bluer end of the spectrum as well as younger eyes. In fact, older eyes like the yellower end of the spectrum much better.

HID is a good option for old eyes as they are full-spectrum producers so if you get HIDs in the 4300*K you will get great light for older eyes. The 3000*K units are great fog lights (yellow).

Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Big H
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am running Adjure Trillient cut tri-bar and black spot headlight and passing lamps on my Fat Boy. The headlight is a 35-watt 6000K HID while the side lights are currently bright white 4300K PIAA bulbs. Night vision is great but I will say that my headlight is not designed to properly reflect the HID light. I have an H3 HID kit for the passing lamps, but I have yet to install it because the wiring is too thick for the hollow nuts that hold the light housings to the crossbar.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM
SUUIE
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big H
I am running Adjure Trillient cut tri-bar and black spot headlight and passing lamps on my Fat Boy. The headlight is a 35-watt 6000K HID while the side lights are currently bright white 4300K PIAA bulbs. Night vision is great but I will say that my headlight is not designed to properly reflect the HID light. I have an H3 HID kit for the passing lamps, but I have yet to install it because the wiring is too thick for the hollow nuts that hold the light housings to the crossbar.
I just ordered the wave cut, blue dot version of these on Friday.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:26 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Big H
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I was planning on putting all three ballasts in the headlight bucket (I'm putting on a new 7" Fatboy bucket), but I too have been concerned that the mounts for the driving lights will not accommodate a two-wire pass-through. Have you thought about drilling the pass-through hole with progressively larger diameter bits? If so, how much more hole diameter do you think is needed? I want to get this worked out before I spend the $$ on HID kits.....