Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end clunk....steering head bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 PM
jruggs73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunk....steering head bearings?

I have a 2001 Deuce and when I hit a bump I get a clunk in the bars. I think it's the steering head that is loose. My service manual talks about checking fall away. Has anyone ever done this? I want to make sure I understand it before I attempt the repair. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup...search the forum and you'll find a ton of threads on the topic. Good luck, it's an easy fix.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've only done 1000mls on mine and needed to tighten twice, I'm assuming its because their so heavy.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Yep , easy fix , get a New locking flat washer that goes in there
--- AND You'll need a jack , and loosen pinch bolts first

Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Also make sure U have the right tq values, seems like I've read different yrs is is different on the TQ. Its not one fits all on this adjustment.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search for bulletin M1215. Get the new $6 hardened steel washer from the dealer, install. Just did this on mine a couple months back, huge difference. I think the new torque specs for that washer are 70-80 ft lbs, but your specific torque will be based on the fallaway, which is a pretty useless way to measure IMHO. I just went with 80 ft lbs, rode it, no binding in front end, clunk gone, left it at 80. Good luck!

*** EDIT: Sorry, the new torque spec is 70-80 ft lbs.

Last edited by jreichart; 08-19-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: wrong torque
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

had that on my '02 fxst. i re-torqued the top nut to 72 ft./lbs. and it went away.

from what i read here on the forum when i searched , hd only torqued to 42 ft/lbs.originally. then revised it the the 72 ft.lbs..

as mentioned, you will need a new lock washer.

always a good idea to check the fall away too. if you were lazy on the greasing, might be agood idea to inspect the top bearing, as it would be the 1st one to go dry due to gravity.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Mine clunks and it's not the bearings or fall away. I think the Deuce tends to make more of a clunk then most due to the rake geometry. It's in the forks, Mine make the most clunk on the extend travel. Especially slow speed(up to 40)over sharp bumps and dips. If you figure it out PM me. I have 40K and I guess I could have wear on the sleeves in the tubes but I can not fill it. I checked with wheel off but did not remove spring. Next time I replace fluid I am going to check for shake. Torque has noting to do with it. All you are doing is torquing the nut to the bearing adjuster. Guess you could tighten it to the point of increasing your last fall away check. Actual better way would be torque bearing adjuster but it's not set up to be able to do this nor do they may a tool to do it, therefore Harley came up with fall away method to insure it's not too tight. It's better off too loose as long as there is not shake in bearing rather then too tight. Harley models are not all the same. I believe you model is like mine. You have a top cone with wrench slots cut in that tightens down into the bearing. on top of that is a metal bent tab lock washer and then the nut that you torque. You need to replace bent tab washer ever time because it grooves and next time you try to torque the top nut it tends to gaul on the nut and turn with it shearing the tab that goes down into bottom cone nut.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-19-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Mine clunks and it's not the bearings or fall away. I think the Deuce tends to make more of a clunk then most due to the rake geometry. It's in the forks, Mine make the most clunk on the extend travel. Especially slow speed(up to 40)over sharp bumps and dips. If you figure it out PM me. I have 40K and I guess I could have wear on the sleeves in the tubes but I can not fill it. I checked with wheel off but did not remove spring. Next time I replace fluid I am going to check for shake. Torque has noting to do with it. All you are doing is torquing the nut to the bearing adjuster. Guess you could tighten it to the point of increasing your last fall away check. Actual better way would be torque bearing adjuster but it's not set up to be able to do this nor do they may a tool to do it, therefore Harley came up with fall away method to insure it's not too tight. It's better off too loose as long as there is not shake in bearing rather then too tight. Harley models are not all the same. I believe you model is like mine. You have a top cone with wrench slots cut in that tightens down into the bearing. on top of that is a metal bent tab lock washer and then the nut that you torque. You need to replace bent tab washer ever time because it grooves and next time you try to torque the top nut it tends to gaul on the nut and turn with it shearing the tab that goes down into bottom cone nut.

IIRC all of the "bent tab" sheet metal washers have been superceded by bulletin M1215 and the new hardened steel washer. That bent tab washer is the reason for the clunk on most, it's not stiff enough to maintain it's shape under stress. Check with your dealer, and have them pull up the bulletin and search your VIN. I think it's '06 and earlier softails.

Never mind the VIN search, I think it's just a year/model specific TSB.

Last edited by jreichart; 08-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
IIRC all of the "bent tab" sheet metal washers have been superceded by bulletin M1215 and the new hardened steel washer. That bent tab washer is the reason for the clunk on most, it's not stiff enough to maintain it's shape under stress. Check with your dealer, and have them pull up the bulletin and search your VIN. I think it's '06 and earlier softails.
Thanks, I will check. I just got one of these washers a few months ago for next time and it's not hard and was not $6.00--probably cheapest part I have ever bought from dealer HA. ( Last time mine did what I said above and I made another tab with hacksaw on the old one and indexed it around) You would have thought dealer would have given me correct part. My fall away is correct now set at max of the tolerance however so I do not think it has worked or beat loose.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Front end clunk....steering head bearings?