Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end clunk....steering head bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Back up in post 12 at least for my04 Duece if that is M1215 that nut will not work for my bike. Mine has a drilled hole in tree that the bent washer lock tab drops down in. Then you tighten nut and bend tab up to secure nut from turning.
The new washer does not have the tab and does not get bent to lock it in place. It is a hardened steel flat washer. The new torque specs are what keep everything tight. (My original washer was the tab one like you described.)

Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,026 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
The new washer does not have the tab and does not get bent to lock it in place. It is a hardened steel flat washer. The new torque specs are what keep everything tight. (My original washer was the tab one like you described.)
Would think your nighttrain would have similar design front end as mine. I know the Tour nut is actually a nylon lock nut. Been working on these bikes for years and never seen one without some form of lock type application. The torque value never overrides the application of a safety lock nut or retainer type of application. if you bike does have some form of lock application on the fork stem nut someone miss-interpreted and use the wrong application on it. Just my opinion of course and if Harley redesigned it I'm sure I could be wrong. From what 49 says it's for my bike and what you say it's just a washer and not the whole nut? Does your bike front not make any cluck when you hit a big bump at low speed?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-19-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Would think your nighttrain would have similar design front end as mine. I know the Tour nut is actually a nylon lock nut. Been working on these bikes for years and never seen one without some form of lock type application. The torque value never overrides the application of a safety lock nut or retainer type of application. if you bike does have some form of lock application on the fork stem nut someone miss-interpreted and use the wrong application on it. Just my opinion of course and if Harley redesigned it I'm sure I could be wrong. From what 49 says it's for my bike and what you say it's just a washer and not the whole nut? Does your bike front not make any cluck when you hit a big bump at low speed?
It clunked with the original washer (thin one with tab), but since I replaced it, clunk is gone. There is no physical locking feature to the new washer. It's just a washer. The torque values were increased from 45(?) to 70-80 (?) ft lbs. The increased torque keeps everything together. Here's a copy of the bulletin

http://www.box.net/shared/nadiwe08ok

Old 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,026 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
It clunked with the original washer (thin one with tab), but since I replaced it, clunk is gone. There is no physical locking feature to the new washer. It's just a washer. The torque values were increased from 45(?) to 70-80 (?) ft lbs. The increased torque keeps everything together. Here's a copy of the bulletin

http://www.box.net/shared/nadiwe08ok
Just got off phone with Harley dealer. After being passed to three people service looked it up. Said only thing it said was "adjust steering head bearing." Ask him about washer and torque and he said "only says adjust steering head bearing." Told him I was a little confused and could he read a few line of detail in it. He told me and I quote "I just did--adjust steering head bearing."

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04469.pdf

Its obvious that M1215 is like asking dealer to read their service manual to you. Looks like I need part 45727-08.

Thank for the help.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Just got off phone with Harley dealer. After being passed to three people service looked it up. Said only thing it said was "adjust steering head bearing." Ask him about washer and torque and he said "only says adjust steering head bearing." Told him I was a little confused and could he read a few line of detail in it. He told me and I quote "I just did--adjust steering head bearing."

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04469.pdf

Its obvious that M1215 is like asking dealer to read their service manual to you. Looks like I need part 45727-07.

Thank for the help.
I think it was 45727-08? You just need the washer, don't get the kit (45740-07?) because you'll pay an extra 5 bucks for the instruction sheet, which you already have.

It's always easier to get stuff from the dealer in person. Then you can look at their computer screen and tell them where to go. I swear, sometimes I know more than they do, which is scary!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
jruggs73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I had the bike on the lift tonight and the "fallaway" procedure is somewhat of a joke. I have 4" of fall away. The HD service manual says if it's over 2" to loosen the nut. This confuses me. Why would I loosen the nut if the steering is actually already loose. I had no play in anything while the bike was in the air. I did loosen the clamp bolts on the fork tubes...and my bike has a steel washer that is bent up on the top around 2 of the flats on the big nut. I torqued the clamp bolts at 40 ft lbs and rode it again. The clunk didn't appear so maybe I had a bind somewhere. I will update tomorrow as I am planning on riding it for more testing. Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My 07 deuce has a clunk also. I found this thread after searching for the "fall away test" I do not understand the purpose of the test. If the new washer kit says to tighten the stem nut to 70-80ft lbs, then the fall away will be whatever it is after torquing. Am I missing something?

Last edited by brihvac; 08-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:50 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

The fall away, IMO, is a BS test. It will vary for everyone. If you installed apes and new lines, or even just new lines, your fall away will be different from someone with a stock setup. Even tires, rims, new fenders etc will affect the fall away test. When I did mine, I torqued everything properly (loosen pinch bolts etc) checked for binding/stiffness in the front end, and found none so decided it was OK. To each his own, but to properly do a "fallaway" test, the front end must be completely stock and all lines that cross the steering head should be disconnected. There are too many variable otherwise.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM
metromix
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll I have the same problem on my 07 FLSTC, clunking when riding over rough surfaces.. Took it to the dealer, explained the prob.. Only to be told they couldn't hear any clunk wtf ! It's not intermittent..it always clunks ... Just ride over a bump... Any bump.. But no... And I still got a bill for $80 pfft.. Apparently my key fob battery needed replacing...hmmm

So now what ?

Old 09-28-2014, 06:41 AM
mgenest
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

anyone have any new news on this subject. I have an 01 deuce. Bought it new. Started clunking about 7 years ago. I have installed new neck bearings twice, new updated washer, update torque specs.... Still clunk. I am ready to buy new lower legs at this point. Want this clunk gone....!!

Quick Reply: Front end clunk....steering head bearings?