Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my softail

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011 | 03:54 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I wouldn't do it. The Evo Softail Custom is one of the best looking bikes the Co. has ever made. The ducktail rear fender is awesome looking. That bike has it all over in looks than a TwinCam Softail Custom. It is a classic & I would keep it the way it is;maybe add a little chrome here & there, but basically you'll kill the value if you mess with it.

Last edited by dickey; 08-22-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2011 | 05:25 AM
rwhite1
|
Intermediate

Right now it all talk you know how when you get a new bike you look at anything and everything you can do to it. Although if i do swap fenders or anything i plan to keep the originals put away somewhere so come time to sell i can offer all the original tins. My dads the same way he has a 96 Softail Bad Boy and wants to repaint it but is goin to buy all new tins so the original paint is still around to sell with the bike.

Old 08-22-2011 | 10:05 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with Dickey. The Softail Customs to 99 are the best looking bikes Harley ever made IMHO. I have loved them since the 80's when they first came out. They are a work of art in my book. I may be a bit preduced though.

Attached Thumbnails Just got my softail-hd-softail-custom-2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011 | 11:32 AM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dickey
I wouldn't do it. The Evo Softail Custom is one of the best looking bikes the Co. has ever made. The ducktail rear fender is awesome looking.
That may be true if you like bobtail fenders. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I think it also depends on what seat you have on it. I don't think the bob tail fender looks that good with a cruising seat (with a wide passenger seat). Also, if you ride on wet roads with a passenger, their back is going to get drenched with that bobtail fender. I like the looks of a Fatboy style fender on a standard, especially with a wide cruising style seat.

I definitely agree with saving the original tins for resale. I have a Fatboy rear fender and a custom 170° front fender that I had on a Sportster. I put the stock tins back on the Sportser before selling it, and after I get another fuel tank (so I can keep all my stock tins) I'm going to put those fenders on my Softail. If I wasn't going to re-use them, I would just sell the custom tins separately.