Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing brake light and button fob questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashing brake light and button fob questions

On my 04 FXST, the brake light flashes 3 or 4 times, and then stays on until I release the brakes. Is the flashing brake light something that it came from the factory with or is it an aftermarket contraption that someone added?

Also, there is small tag on the key ring with one of the button fob security actuators with a four digit code on it. As I understand it, I can enter the four digit code with the turn signal buttons in case the battery goes dead in the fob while the bike is in security mode. My question is; how do you enter the code? Do you start with the left turn signal button for the first digit, and then the right for the second digit, and so on? Or do you start with the right turn signal button?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have one of the newer no button setups on my bike, so I'm not sure how that one you have works, but it should be spelled out in the owners manual.
If you don't have one of those, I suggest you see if the the dealer can get one for you.
It may also be in the service manual which is also something that anyone who does any kind of service on their bike should get.
It and the parts manual are well worth the cost.

The other thing with the brake like sounds like an aftermarket (Harley never installed it) brake light flasher system designed to help get the attention of the stupid cager talking on the phone behind you.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got that flasher on my Deluxe. It's from Kuryaken. It's really nice. The flashing really helps the cars see you...especially at night.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser

How / where is the brake light flasher installed? I assume it's under the seat. Is it just a plug-in deal or is it wired in? It might get the attention of cars, but it can be confusing for another rider behind me. It looks like I'm just tapping on the brakes, even if I'm braking hard.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Plugs in between the main wiring harness and the rear wiring harness. It is on the exhaust side of the bike under the seat.

Drew

Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It may be kuryakyn, it may be something else. A few manufacturers make such a device. Get a MOM to figure out the code thing.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 AM
OldCoddger
Advanced
Default Could be BAL tail light

It could be a Bright *** Light (google that). If so the flash and intensity setting are changed by touching, with a magnet that is supplied, the upper right had side of the light when it is on as tail light or on as brake light.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I found this for the button-less fobs..

ALSO
I wanted to remind everyone how important it is to set the manual PIN override for your Harley Davidson alarm system.

I was in Laughlin when I noticed the couple parked next to me cusing at their bike. I asked what was up, and found out the alarm was set on their bike, but the battery had apparently gone dead on the key fob. Since they had not set the PIN override code, there was no starting the bike. They were lucky to be somewhere this could be easily fixed...I let them use the battery from my fob to start the bike. Imagine if they were in the middle of the desert and stopped for a drink of water??? Especially with the new bikes where the alarm sets automatically and the "working" fob needs to be near the bike.

If you haven't set the PIN over ride for your HD alarm system...do it now! Here's how you do it...

Setting or Changing Your Security System Alarm Override PIN

Button less fobs (Smart FOB)

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 2 times.

4. Press Right turn signal switch one time and release.
*Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (a) times.

6. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit (a) will replace the current in the odometer window.

7. Enter second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (b) times.

8. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.

9. Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (c) times.

10. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The new digit (c) will replace the current in the odometer window.

11. Enter forth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.

12. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

13. Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (e) times.
*The new digit (e) will replace the current in the odometer window.

14. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

15. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF.
* The odometer will return to mileage display.
**Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new pin in the module.

Push Button fobs

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 2 times.

4. Press button on fob twice
Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
Press button on fob twice to enter number.

6. Enter second digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

7. Enter third digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

8. Enter forth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

9. Enter fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new security PIN.

Using the Security Alarm PIN Override to Start Your Harley Davidson

1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn signal switches until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window.

2. Enter the first digit of your PIN (a) by pressing the left turn signal switch (a) times.

3. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

4. Enter the second digit of your PIN (b) by pressing the left turn signal switch (b) times.

5. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

6. Enter the third digit of your PIN (c) by pressing the left turn signal switch (c) times.

7. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

8. Enter the forth digit of your PIN (d) by pressing the left turn signal switch (d) times.

9. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

10. Enter the fifth digit of your PIN (e) by pressing the left turn signal switch (e) times.

11. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

12. Press the right turn signal switch one time and the security system alarm is turned off.

HOPE this helps.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser

Thanks for the info on the security system. I'll give that a try.

The brake light flasher was a generic brand called "back off". Instead of being a 'plug in' it was hard wired into the brake light hot wire, so I had to do a wire repair after I removed it. Thanks for the info on that, I figured it probably didn't come that way originally.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Bl1ndSquirrel
Novice

You need to check out the "bright *** lights" it an LED taillight that has several flash modes. I put the black smoked taillight on my Fatboy lo and love it. It comes with a small magnet that you can use to change modes at any time. Check out the website. There also a good pic of it at my pic link below. The LED really makes you visible.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...0&ref=gnr-next

Last edited by Bl1ndSquirrel; 08-19-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Flashing brake light and button fob questions