Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White paint has sprayed up on my black denim Fat Boy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 AM
LEO Smokewagon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White paint has sprayed up on my black denim Fat Boy Lo

After getting back in from Sturgis, I noticed that there was white paint all over my front fender, and alot of stuff on the right side (air cleaner, brake lever, pipes, right side of the tank, etc.) It's not really bad, kinda like a slight white mist went over it, presumably from some highway stripe painting, but it's driving me nuts on my flat BLACK denim paintjob.

A friend said they used Turtle wax rubbing compound on their car to remove some paint they received in a minor fender bender once. Said it worked perfectly with no damage to the original clear coat. It just removed the added paint.

It sounds like a good idea since I have a VERY small amount of this white "mist" to try removing, but the idea of putting any compound on my flat black paintjob makes me nervous (waxes and whatnot are a big no no for denim black)

Does this sound like a good idea or does anyone else have a good idea for removing spray up paint off your bike.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I am thinking something more like the clay bar instead of rubbing compound.

I've used Mother's clay bar on the wife's car when I got some black overspray on her white Pontiac... worked great. And it didn't remove any more than the overspray...

Maybe some painters will chime in here for Ya..
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Moth...ystem_44823937

I've read the denim is a lot different than reg paint..
I'd for sure just try a little area under the seat that's not seen to try it on first.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 AM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to my denim Lo. A contractor at work was painting a container and got white overspray on my bike too. Just like yours it was a mist. You could only notice it if the bike was in the sun and I pointed it out to you. Anyway everyone I spoke to told me there was no way of getting it out without ruining the paint so the contractor bought me a new set of tins. I'll put them on when its time to sell or trade if that time ever comes.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:11 AM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing you should find out who did it and have them pay for the damages. Shouldn't be to hard to find out who did it. Good luck

Old 08-16-2011, 05:57 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off i'm sorry to hear that it happened to your ride all off us take pride in our bikes .... I think it might be harder to get the money than just calling up the contractor and saying it's your fault pay up ..... they could argue you could have got the paint spray anywhere not at Sturgis you have to prove it and that might be harder than serjayson advises ..... you could try but dont hold your breath .... maybe before you anything why not contact the MOCO they must know what you could use ..... Good luck anyway!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM
LEO Smokewagon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for getting someone to pay, that's an impossibility. I don't really know where it happened. Guy I was riding with thinks he saw highway construction two states away in Minnesota, but that's it. I looked into the clay barring thing and it seems like what I would need to do. Only thing is, you have to use some sort of detailing lube for the bar. "Detailing lube" to me, seems like a polish, again a big no no with denim. Has anyone tried using a clay bar on the denim paint?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now your bike looks like you ride it. You bought it to ride it didnt you!? Suck it up and move on. There is nothing you can do to get that off your denim black paint. The wax would be a terrible idea, dont do it. So now you gotta either live with it or repaint it.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
moog5050
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a painter, but it seems anything that is typically used on cars to polish out scratches or remove overspray may result in you polishing the denim paint and ruining it. I would try the claybar in an area that is not noticeable. Any detail spray can be used as the lubricant and clay is intened to remove contaminents rather than polish. Seems like the best option. You could always ask a body shop.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

It has worked for me in the past...try WD-40...let it soak, and a little elbow grease...hope it works for you

Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't use a clay bar on denim paint, It's an abrasive (ultra fine) and will damage the dull finish. I would find a bike painter and ask them what they would use on Harley denim paint. It would have to be a solvent of some kind that won't effect the textured clearcoat.

Quick Reply: White paint has sprayed up on my black denim Fat Boy Lo