Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy or Road King? Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoung214
I think that's all I can afford if I go RK. There's something cool about the po~tae~toe po~tae~toe but I say whatever. It's only at idle.
They've been making the Delphi EFI RKs since 2002.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are truly riding two up get the RK. I have spent a lot of time and money to get my FB to where I want it. I have been looking at getting a touring bike but can not get a reasonable offer for my bike so I am keeping it. The one thing I love about the FB is I can go from a touring machine to a bar hopper in a matter of minutes. Plus seems everyone has a bagger now, so it is nice to not have such a common bike. This is what mine looks like when set up for two up. The mustang seat is great and get no complaints from the wife about it. We did rent a UC while on Maui a few years ago and she says she prefers the FB, she said she hated the tour pack on it.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Boy or Road King? Opinions Please-p7060078.jpg  
Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's another reason to go with RK:
Dual front brakes, really, they are great.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

I ride 2up 50%. Bought the bike a few years back prior to HD having good ABS. The current abs is very good. For 2up go touring with abs.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Your wife is young and skinny now (110#) but she's going to get old and fat...get the Road King.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoung214
I'm getting a whole bunch of different opionions about this but I think I should ask here before I make a decision.

I'm selling my FXDB and I was planning on trying to get a Road King. The only thing I really want is a carburated one so, pre-2005 was what I was looking for until I came across an opportunity to get a very clean Fat Bob with a modest amount of accessories and it looks good to my liking.

The reason I was leaning toward a Road King was because I wanted to two-up with my wife. She's less than 110 pounds even on her best/worst day so I'm wondering if I even need a tourer like a Road King.

Also I'm not sure how a Fat Boy is when you double up on it.

I need your opinions. Whatever you've experienced and whatever you believe I'd like to hear it. Opinions on long rides, two-ups, handling, ride, solo rides... All of it. I'd appreciate that.

Right now, the 2007 Fat Bob I'm looking at would cost me about two grand less than a 2005 Road King. (Harley's are pretty damn overpriced where I live. I live in Korea and a new Road King will cost a little over 30 thousand bucks - tax included).
Well since your asking for input as to which one, then I should give you my take.
The fatboy is an awesome machine they all are but it depends on what kind of riding your going to be doing. Most fatboys don't come with shields pass backrest or bags. If your going to take it on the open road your going to get beat to death and you'll be giving that up, unless you get a windshield and bags and them you'll have a Heritage Softail only more expensive because it's always so if you accessorize after you buy. If you don't want to get beat by the wind. Have plenty of bag room for road trips etc and most use bikes have the passenger backrest already there so your Mrs will dig that. Your not going to be able to get the Mrs to do on very many long ride on the Fatboy trust me.

30k wow! you might want to see what it would cost you if you bought one and had it shiped where you are it couldn't be anywhere near that even if you bought a new one I'd think?