Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dragging floor boards

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
s.ga.rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJLocke
I drug mine on my Heritage, and I drag them now on my fatboy. If you dont want to drag your floor boards, maybe you should look into a crotch rocket

I sold my crotch rocket to get the harley. lol

Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
Cut down on scraping by leaning your body into the curve more. Putting your weight into the curve makes the bike able to be straighter up in the curve.
You are correct in this statement. I have owned and aggressively ridden a 2005 RK Custom and a 2007 E/glide, both bikes cornered and leaned well for a large bike, the Heritage classic does scrape easier/quicker then the 2 previuos Harley models, it actually surprised me the first time I rode my Heritage. It has to be ridden high into a curve and down into the apex and accell out to the high side. If you ride this way on the Heritage it will be less likely to drag. They are different to ride then other bikes I have owned, not bad just have to be ridden different. No I am not a flattlander, my Heritage is ridden 2 up and in the mountain twisties 95% of the time, and no it never gets old.

Last edited by checkers; 08-15-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I love dragging my boards.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by s.ga.rider
Is not so much of an issue in south georgia but when we take our yearly trip to the north Ga mountains their is no way I am going to be able to keep up the other guys in the group.
If you develope a good riding style and technique, you'l be able to keep up.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by INTHERED
I just got a 2011 Fatboy and I have been scraping floorboards now that I am used to the bike. I have been giving this some thought that since Iam scraping the rear portion of the floorboards that maybe the problem could be fixed by adjusting the preload on the rear shocks. What is the stock rear preload setting for a 2011 Fatboy from the factory ? Also I noticed that the floorboards from a softail deluxe are tapered at the rear which might be worth trying if the preload does not work ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered
The rear of the board scrapes because they are tilted back. Since they are in front of your centerline or C.O.G. the front end needs be addressed the most. A 5/8" pvc slug over the springs worked for me along with stiffer fork oil, but that does make you feel the road a bit more. Longer slug wouldn't go in working by myself.

The stock shocks are adjusted for something like a 160 lb. rider - the bike will actually ride smoother if you adjust them almost all the way up. I had to make a wrench to do it, but they sell one.

In back, I went Darkside with a 175/75/16 - raising the rear of the bike 1/2" and gearing me up 5mph - putting the speedo dead on with my Garmin - a plus, and taller hwy ratio helps since there's no 6th gear.
I have no trouble outrunning our chapter or guests in the twisties, but I still have to use the body english trick at times to tighten up a curve. The boards hit the deck 1" before the crash bars, so there is NO pushing her beyond that, save for sliding off the seat to the inside.

EDIT: I still scrape all the time; it's just that the changes allow a bit more lean angle before hitting. I did the mods to stay off the crash bars, which get scary.

Last edited by Quadancer; 08-17-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
IDSTC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by moose thecat
Do all your braking before the turn and accelerate through the turn. It tends to strech the suspension.

Originally Posted by asm481
Cut down on scraping by leaning your body into the curve more. Putting your weight into the curve makes the bike able to be straighter up in the curve.
and

Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 PM
brickie
Cruiser

My 07 Heritage scraped very easily when I first bought it new. It is a little unnerving when the boards drag but you can get use to it somewhat. I found that by stiffening the shocks all the way it gave me quite a bit more lean angle without compromising comfort. Get yourself a spanner wrench and try it. One thing I really like about the Heritage is the sit in it feeling compared to sitting on it with a lot of other models. Guess the scraping is one of the drawbacks. I don't mind scraping the boards from time to time as long as I stay off the frame (yikes!)

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default boards

dont worry about it you can always find replacements on e bay enjoy the ride it also looks cool at night when the sparks fly

Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949

But just so U'll know, Yes, when the time comes that I can't hold up a bike I WILL have a TRIKE, as long as I can still breath, shift the gears and twist the throttle.

But I hope and pray that's not for at least another 10-15 yrs.

Till then. U ride the way U want to, and I'll ride the way I want to and I'll not tell U What or How to ride.
Well said! My uncle rode a 49 panhead for 25 years, and then an 84 soft tail for 15 and gave it up. He now wishes he would have swallowed his pride and did the trike. I'm not stopping till they pull my license.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Hey, I live in Florida and scrape my boards fairly frequently on my '06 Heritage. Just cause it's a cruiser doesn't mean you can't have some fun on it. Scared the hell out of me first time, now I get a chuckle out of it. Still, I wouldn't mind some skid plates. Anybody know where they sell them? I'm not much of a welder...

Quick Reply: dragging floor boards