Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dragging floor boards

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by grzly
if you havent scraped a heritage floor board , then sorry , you should just move to a trike and be done with it

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ouch, Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

What does scraping the floor boards have to do with what bike we ride. Didn't know scrapping the boards was a requirement.

A lot of us older DUDES have been riding probably more Yrs than the age of a lot of U.

At 62, I've been riding for 47 yrs and I still love to ride, but just cause I've only scraped once don't mean I cant ride what I want to. I thank God I am still able to throw my leg over my bike and take off.

But just so U'll know, Yes, when the time comes that I can't hold up a bike I WILL have a TRIKE, as long as I can still breath, shift the gears and twist the throttle.

But I hope and pray that's not for at least another 10-15 yrs.

Till then. U ride the way U want to, and I'll ride the way I want to and I'll not tell U What or How to ride.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '05 Fatboy is lowered 2" front and back. I drag the floorboard frames very easily. I wish the boards would hit first to act like a curb feeler, rather than a solid and unforgiving frame member. May have to bring the front up a bit.

I'm betting that your bike is lowered as well. Stand it straight up and measure it and compare to specs.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drag'em if ya got'em. They'll make more.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ouch, Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

What does scraping the floor boards have to do with what bike we ride. Didn't know scrapping the boards was a requirement.

A lot of us older DUDES have been riding probably more Yrs than the age of a lot of U.

At 62, I've been riding for 47 yrs and I still love to ride, but just cause I've only scraped once don't mean I cant ride what I want to. I thank God I am still able to throw my leg over my bike and take off.

But just so U'll know, Yes, when the time comes that I can't hold up a bike I WILL have a TRIKE, as long as I can still breath, shift the gears and twist the throttle.

But I hope and pray that's not for at least another 10-15 yrs.

Till then. U ride the way U want to, and I'll ride the way I want to and I'll not tell U What or How to ride.
I agree.

LOL... all one needs is finesse in their riding habits to keep from scraping except in extreme situations.

Bluehighways - you are so right. it really depends on where one lives as how much scraping goes on. even though we've got great riding roads are here... nothing really to scrape on.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

Is not so much of an issue in south georgia but when we take our yearly trip to the north Ga mountains their is no way I am going to be able to keep up the other guys in the group.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
INTHERED
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just got a 2011 Fatboy and I have been scraping floorboards now that I am used to the bike. I have been giving this some thought that since Iam scraping the rear portion of the floorboards that maybe the problem could be fixed by adjusting the preload on the rear shocks. What is the stock rear preload setting for a 2011 Fatboy from the factory ? Also I noticed that the floorboards from a softail deluxe are tapered at the rear which might be worth trying if the preload does not work ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered

Last edited by INTHERED; 08-15-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Yes
Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
When I read that some of you folks hardly ever scrape your boards I look imediately at where you live. It's really pretty simple, you flat-landers don't scrape your boards very often because of where you ride!
+1 to that! I've been scraping my LO since day one whenever I'm on the really good twisties. Rode up to Palomar Mountain over the weekend and I got to say...MAN THAT WAS FUN! The mountain had a ton of sport bikes racing up it, but I just did it my way and had a great time. I was scraping in the big turns though. I figure I'll just replace the boards when the time comes. I've had the bike about 15 months now and it's gonna be a long time till I scrap the boards enough to require replacing them. Enjoy it...it will really get the attention of everyone you're riding with too!

Last edited by jbg; 08-15-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:57 PM
prost34
Tourer

I was talking to the instructor for the daytona drill team(baggers you see in the parades) he rides his wifes deluxe all the time,asked him if he drags the floorboards like me,,his response?,,,uh,yea i am on my third set of boards and brackets,if you are not dragging them your not using the entire tire,,,,

Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Account Retired
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drug mine on my Heritage, and I drag them now on my fatboy. If you dont want to drag your floor boards, maybe you should look into a crotch rocket

Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I drug mine all the time. The Roadking I'm dragging them on too but not near as much. My Limited I did a few times but I really had to be hard into a corner for that to happen. Either except it or get a touring bike....Or of course you could just slow down.

Quick Reply: dragging floor boards