Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a new to me harley and a few ??s

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM
lghtngblt02
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HolePuncher
I had a very nice officer point out that the SE IIs are for "off-road use only" as stamped on the lower outside of the the pipes. He even wrote me a note so I wouldn't forget.
DOH...that sucks. Did he/she bend down and take a look at them?

Yeah they are stamped on the underside. I am not too worried. It passes State inspections at a dealership (only because I havent really researched an indy out or another shop). I figure if an officer is digging that hard then he/she is going to give me a ticket regardless. I normally ride respectfully and don't ask for trouble which I figure is a good start. Funny thing is, I have heard "legal" pipes that are definetly louder then mine, yet the EPA is concerned...

Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HolePuncher
I had a very nice officer point out that the SE IIs are for "off-road use only" as stamped on the lower outside of the the pipes. He even wrote me a note so I wouldn't forget.
It was kind of him to write you the note. My '03 had the old style SEII "for competition only" pipes. They were louder than the headers with no slip ons.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM
kzoo
Road Master

Guess I am gonna have to take a look at my pipes! The ride came with em and I never paid much attention.

My eagles WILL scream!!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Some of U guys haven't been around long enough to really know whats going on with the SE pipes..

The older (pre 07's) SE slip ons where LOUD, Almost as loud as My 2'' Rush, Then in 07 The EPA make the Moco quiet them down.
Thats why there are some (newer ones) SE pipes that are barely louder than stockers. So it depends on what Yr U have.

As far as jetting I don't know whats been done to Urs, nor am I really sure if anyone had to re-jett with the newer SE pipes when put on a Carbed bikes to begin with.

To me a full system is not just Slip-ons, its new headers and mufflers that's from the heads to end of the mufflers. So it sounds like the sellers was blowing a little smoke when he said full system was installed when it only has slip ons.
If theirs any numbers on the pipes U can just look that # up in the SE parts book to see what U have.

As far as Ur idle. All bikes are different. Just try a little choke for a minute on Ur warm bke and see what she does.

Could be Ur A/C needs cleaned, plugs and wires changes.. Really wouldn't hurt to do those anyway if Ur not sure when they were last changed.

Also be sure to check Ur spokes, they need to be checked at least once a yr, I do mine in the spring and fall..
Just use Ur finger and pluck them one at a time like a guitar string. They all should make close to the same sound. Just like a guitar if some are lower in sound then U need them serviced to tighten them up.
Be very careful if U do it Urself, because U can get a rim out of round and untrue very easy by doing it wrong.

And last,, Yes if Urs is jetted I'd think U could just slip on some Rush's and go..
Are the Rush's Ur looking at 2'' or 1 3/4 baffles.. I would recommend either one of those two, if needed U can order new baffles from Rush.
If U still have the stock cams in I'd go with he 1 3/4, if it has cams then I'd go with the 2''ers if U want a even deeper sound.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-10-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

He doent know for sure but he thinks they are the 1.5s. I listened to their sound clips online and they all sound a lot better than what I have. The 2" sounded best to me. For $80 I am going to give them a try until I get some money for a 2 into 1.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by s.ga.rider
He doent know for sure but he thinks they are the 1.5s. I listened to their sound clips online and they all sound a lot better than what I have. The 2" sounded best to me. For $80 I am going to give them a try until I get some money for a 2 into 1.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
True the 2'' baffles will sound a little louder and deeper, but not much,, with that said, the 1 3/4ers will sound almost the same but with the 2''ers on a bike without cams U will lose a little TQ under 3k rpms because of less back pressure.

That's why I said if u had cams the 2''ers work good because they wouldn't lose hardly any TQ at all.
Ur call..

Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

I got them and they do have the 1.5s. It is a lot louder but it needs to have a deeper sound. Now its kind of high pitched. I dont know how big of a difference the 1.75 will make. For $70 I would like to know before buying.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,307 Likes on 5,872 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
I have heard "legal" pipes that are definetly louder then mine, yet the EPA is concerned...
The only "legal" pipes, are the ones you took off, to install the louder ones...lol