Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Shock adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
bh73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Softail Shock adjustment

I can't believe how tight this one stubborn shock is. This is on a new heritage. I sprayed with wd40 and it still won't budge. The piece of chit hd wrench just bends and slips out. I have a couple of busted knuckles to show for it. The right shock turns fairly easy though. Just for kicks, the shocks do adjust in the same direction and are not opposite thread right? Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-14-2006, 05:45 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bh73

I can't believe how tight this one stubborn shock is. This is on a new heritage. I sprayed with wd40 and it still won't budge. The piece of chit hd wrench just bends and slips out. I have a couple of busted knuckles to show for it. The right shock turns fairly easy though. Just for kicks, the shocks do adjust in the same direction and are not opposite thread right? Thanks for all the help!
Yep, same direction on both shocks. Mine adjusted with no problems using the Harley wrench, sounds like you got a tough one.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:19 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Just for grins, try going the other way FIRST. That way if there is something, dirt, rocks or the odd cat parts, stuck in the threads you should be able to dislodge it and flush it out with some WD-40 or something like it.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: bh73

I was trying to adjust the shocks on my heritage but one of them is very stubborn and won't budge. I loosened the jam nuts and was able to turn one of the shocks but the other one bends the spanner wrench when trying to adjust? Any tips on freeing up the stubborn shock?
Did you ever get your shocks adjusted?
Tom

Old 01-01-2007, 01:54 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

bh73: Just curious, but are you trying to lower the rearend? If that's the case, I may try it on mine.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:59 PM
springerGT
Road Master

Which way do you turn them for a softer ride, mine bottoms out if I hit a cigarette butt.

GT

Old 01-01-2007, 02:23 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't adjusted mine yet ,so I don't know if it is set hard or soft. I am happy with the current setting, but will no doubt mess around with it to see what the difference feels like.
The manual says that turning the adjuster plates out (toward locknut) increases spring preload, to carry a heavier load. The manual doesn't state how many turns there are from softest to hardest setting. How many settings ,if any are there between soft and hard?
I don't have the required spanner wrench. I found a heavy duty spanner wrench on this site doing a search, that I will order in the next few days.
http://hometown.aol.com/jqdw/tailwrench.html
Tom

Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Adjusting spring preload does not lower bike, it stiffens or softens the ride, sometime after you lower a softail, you need to adjust the preload up to keep it from bottoming out. Mostly heavy riders, two up, and loaded down for long trips.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
chilango13
Road Master

By adjusting the shocks, how low will the moto go--inch and a half? two inches? How low can you go?

Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
chilango13
Road Master

chester, i didn't see your post before i asked my question, but i guess you answered my question. Anyhow, what is one way of lowering a bike? thanks.

Quick Reply: Softail Shock adjustment