Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to ride the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Hippiebeads
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going to ride the Tail of the Dragon

Good morning everyone.I am taking off Friday morning to ride the Tail of the Dragon.I am riding solo and thought I would see if anyone wants to tag a long or meet up on the the way.
Is there any local hotspots I should check out or must see places in the area.Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions or ideas.
Chris

P.S. I live near the first exit in western Ohio off of Interstate 70 and will be riding Interstate 75 to Tenn.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a great time, its a blast but keep an eye in the mirror for crotch rockets.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 AM
chopper blue deuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out these web sites for some great pics and info.

WWW.killboy.com
WWW.tailofthedragon.com

Have fun, and watch out for LEOs

Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,705 Likes on 791 Posts

I would ride it during the week if you can. Weekends are crazy. The Cherohala Skyway is a nice ride also. Good food and cold beer at the Harley dealership in Maysville. Good breakfast at Deal's Gap (start of the Dragon).
Yep, watch out for the "motards"...

You may leave some metal from your fishtails on the road in some of those switchbacks...

Last edited by hdgzr; 08-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
fatusboyus
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

its beautiful country down there...i was supposed to go in june, but couldnt get off work...i ususally go every year though

like someone else mentioned, watch out for the crotch rockets, they'll pass you going so fast in the turns all you'll hear is "bwwwwmmmm" lol

oh, and i found out the hard way, you have to have an approved DOT lid in Tn, and no vericle side mount plates

and the women are really friendly at the local hooters

Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM
tlester72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What time on friday? I live about 20 mins from there and may join you!!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 on what has already been said. I live about an hour from there and stay away on weekends. Crowded, too may crotch rockets and cars, and usually more than a few crashes. If you can ride it on Friday it will be much more enjoyable. It is fun to sit at one of the pull offs and watch the show on Saturday but pick your spot carefully so you don't wind up getting taken out by some moron who thinks he is better than he really is.

Dude on that lowered sled of yours your going to be leaving some serious metal on some of this turns and switchbacks. Have fun and ride safe.

Oh yeah on weekends it's heavily patrolled too and the po po don't play !

Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I rode the Dragon just last week for the first time. I live in Wisconsin and this was a bike trip for the wife and I. Went with another couple. All the hype about people maimed and dead on the Dragon had both wifes totally opposed to going on the Dragon. The other couple didn't ride it at all...their loss. I convinced my wife I would behave and stay long way from the yellow so she relented and rode it with me. Got through just fine and she loved the experience. I went through it alone to have a tad bit more fun. You do have to respect the road. Keep your head up, look where you are going and don't freak as things seem to appear and disappear real quick. I did ride it on a Wednesday.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, most crashes on 'The Dragon' are HD riders, not SportBikes.

Harleys are built for cruising, not for racing on The Dragon. If a curve has one of those '10 mph' signs before it, take it at no more than 11 mph.

A friend of mine, on a Harley, was hit, by another rider on a Harley, a couple of Saturday's ago. The idiot that hit him was trying to take one of those 10 mph curves too fast, lost it, and slid into my friend. He spent a few days in a hospital in Knoxville and had some major surgety on his left ankle.

He's at home now, gonna be out of work for at least 2 months ... all because some idiot thought he could 'race' a Harley on the Dragon!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a video my wife took of us riding the Dragon. I was "one of those idiots" trying to keep up with my old man and Mother in front of me. I was riding beyond my skill level at the time and crossed the line (way over) when I wasn't prepared for a tight right-hand turn. You'll see at 3:40 in the video. I've learned much since then, believe me!!! If you click on the link instead of the video you'll be able to see it in full size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkNzwMitLgY

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 08-01-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Going to ride the Tail of the Dragon