Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to ride the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice vid, and looks like a good ride. I'm just gonna guess the corners are tighter than they look, or as was mentioned above it's just Harley's and sport bikes going faster than the riders ability. I guess I was kind of picturing some sharp turns like Tantalus Drive here in Hawaii, unless there is more to the route than in the video. My cornering needs some work so I'd probably be that guy everyone is pissed cause they are stuck behind me putting along.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, if I remember correctly I don't think any of the corners are sharper than 90 degrees. There are some legitimate corkscrews in the area too, but I think they were in the area between Deal's Gap and Pigeon Forge, in the National forest.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure you'll make it back with those pipes on the bike. Remember the date/time you ride the 'tail' and also the web sites of the photographer's signs. You'll find some nice photos when you get back home. Have a good trip and be safe.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful with those pipes, and stay within your ability and do not try to show off for the cameras or this happens. Have fun

Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 AM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
No, if I remember correctly I don't think any of the corners are sharper than 90 degrees. There are some legitimate corkscrews in the area too, but I think they were in the area between Deal's Gap and Pigeon Forge, in the National forest.
I guess I got that idea from some of the horror stories I've read about, and the I think drive like a pro guy has a vid with a bunch of street bike crashes. Maybe someday once I get some more experience under my belt, and am comfortable looking through the turn instead of right in front of me I'll attempt the dragon. Best of luck to the OP since many have said weekends are crazy. Hope he manages to hit it on a day not to full of idiots to ruin his ride.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Hippiebeads
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got home last night from a killer ride in Tenn.Everything I heard and read was true and it is a must do trip if you can make it.The weather was good,the roads were good.Met many nice people and saw cool hardware all over the place.I left metal from my pipes and floorboards on some of the roads but I was expecting that.I stayed in Maryville and found one good bar called Nater Z's that is very biker friendly,of course Hooters is always fun also.Happy to share my limited knowledge and experience if anyone has questions.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
dizzy1450
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good time.

Did you happen to see this guy?