Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got the new xhaust in...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 11:36 AM
jermflux
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Ash16
+1 on new gaskets and you might get new exhaust nuts too. A few guys (me included) found that they had lost one or two a few months after install. I know lost nuts let the jokes begin. I hope that you ordered the heat shields or you're gonna wrap them because those pipes are hot as hell without them.
Exhaust nut=header bolts, right?
Does Bassani make black heat shields for these?
Hot as hell will feel like heaven once January rolls around, ha ha

Old 07-27-2011 | 11:38 AM
jermflux
|
Novice

Originally Posted by brettnbama
oh and if they don't work out, let me know....I have forward controls
Thank you. If I can't shim my way out of any potential problem I may take you up on that offer.

Old 07-27-2011 | 01:49 PM
Mid GA Night Train
Intermediate

They do make black heat shields. Talk to the DR. and he will set you up. I run these, and they look badd@ss with them wrapped. I can't help you on the floarboard question though...

Old 07-27-2011 | 06:43 PM
PearlWhiteGT
Road Captain

I've been thinking of replacing my V&H Big Radius pipes with these Bassani Pro Streets. Let us know how you like them after you install the please.

Old 07-27-2011 | 07:22 PM
jermflux
|
Novice

OK, didn't install today. Had to work on the washing machine instead, ugh. Got another question though;

I used to paint the inside of the headers with hight temp paint, then after that cures I'd smear some axle greese around the inside of the headers with a towel on a stick. Kinda like cleaning a bore out. This always worked very well for me to either keep the blues away, or help season in in powder coat. Now, providing I paint the inside before I put the O2 sensores in, of course, do I need to worry about the burning grease messing the O2's up or should I cap the bungs, and put the O2's back in after I break in the exhaust with about five cycles of "run 30 seconds and let cool" then a couple of one minute runs just for the hell of it?

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:39 PM
jermflux
|
Novice

Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT
I've been thinking of replacing my V&H Big Radius pipes with these Bassani Pro Streets. Let us know how you like them after you install the please.
I will review and post pictures as soon I I am done tomorrow

Old 07-28-2011 | 10:01 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah Rowdy I have scraped mine flat.

You can get black heat shields for them but it took them forever to come in. I don't know if they stock them or they just make to order. I rode for over a month without while I waited (In February so it wasn't to bad). They are hot even with the shields on if you get stuck in traffic. As far as the install I think that the most important part is wiping them down with windex before you start your bike the first time.

Old 07-28-2011 | 02:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Being I've read in here about using too much grease on even the sensors threads can cause problems, I'd think using grease on the whole pipe would really mess them up.

Old 07-28-2011 | 11:22 PM
jermflux
|
Novice
Talking sometimes being pigheaded and not taking no for an answer works out...

Now that I am done and know this for sure I can tell some background without feeling stupid if they did not in fact fit.

I was going to have a local shop do the work instead of myself for once. I thought, "First new Harley, more free time to do other things, and it's freakin' hot out!!!".
I've known the guy for awhile now, we'll call him "Dude". I told Dude of the pipes I wanted and he said he'd look into it. Calls me and says the web sight says no floorboards. I told him I read that too but know of Xbones I've seen with them. So he calls Bassani, and I do too for the hell of it. I had to leave a message with the lady because the main guy was out. I never got a call back. Dude seems to be getting the run around from them too. Then dude calls me and says he finally got ahold of them and they actually have a Xbones in the Bassani shop for test fitting. So I wait another week or so and no word from Dude. I call Bassani and I don't want to talk to an expert because all I want is a part number for what I want because I'm ready to just order them from Phat Performance. He gives me a part number. The number turns out to be for Fire-sweeps or some crap like that. I call back, he says, "The Pro-Streets won't fit a crossbones, we just tested them. The only ones we have that fit the Crossbones are the Fire-sweeps". I felt kinda dirty at that point and just said,"Give me a set of black turn-out Pro-streets for a Softail, forget I ever even mentioned I have a Crossbones". That was about two weeks ago. About a week after that Dude leaves me message that Bassani says they won't work. Monday Dude calls me again to confirm I got his message, meanwhile as I talk to him I know I have the pipes waiting at home for me to install myself, hopefully without any cutting or welding. The guy at Phat Performance called Bassani too just looking out for me per our conversation. He confirmed Bassani says they don't fit, but I wanted them anyways.
Well, they went on without a hitch, perfect fit with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! It was more of a pita taking off the stock headers with that stock crossover holding everything together.
Not to sound crass, but they are BAD *** ******'! They are different, they look raw, and they are loud without being annoying. Still breaking them in so have not pulled hard yet. Sorry about the pictures, I got a late start today and I'll take some good day time pics tomorrow, right after I go show Dude my new pipes

Old 07-29-2011 | 08:00 AM
jed1069
Road Master

They look like they are awfully close to the floorboard. I'm wondering if they mean they will not fit with heat shields on. They look really good.

Quick Reply: got the new xhaust in...