Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overfilling Oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 AM
wiktor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overfilling Oil ??

Hi All, my 2011 Fatboy is using a little oil, it has 4,000 miles on it. For the first 1000 miles it used extremely little, appears to use just a little bit more now. I still have not had to use a quart but I would guess it will use a quart in 5,000 miles. When I took it to the dealer for it's 1000 mile service they way overfilled it and I rode it fairly hard the 85 miles it took me to get home before I checked it and drained some out. I would guess they overfilled it at least 1/2 quart. Could this have damaged anything causing it to use oil or would it just have blown out the air filter? Is the amount of oil usage of any concern? Thanks!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are keeping it at the full mark, it may not be using it. It is, more than likely, pushing it into the intake, after the motor warms up.
I run mine a half quart low and it does not use oil. if I run it full, it uses about 1/2 quart in a thousand miles.
You may try running it a little low, or stop refilling it, to see if it gets to a point where it stops using it.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Mookster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree with tlb... if you run it totally full, it will use a bit of oil... if u run it down about a third to a half quart low, it will not use any.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

I had a dealership overfill mine during the 5000 mile service. It dripped quite a bit under the ac but I put another 10000miles on the bike before I totaled it and the bike ran fine so I doubt it did any permanent damage. My relationship with the dealer was permanently damaged. When I realized what happened I went back to the dealer to get them to fix it and I asked if they could give me a discounted oil change next time to compensate me for the time I wasted correcting their mistake. I didn't ask for a free oil change just a few bucks off. The service tech then accused me of overfilling it myself to try to get a free oil change out of them. Needless to say I was done doing business there.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,605 Posts

The over filling didn't do any permanent damage; the extra oil was passed through the breathers. H-D will tell you that oil consmption of 1 quart every 1500 miles is acceptable, so a quart in 5000 miles is not excessive.

I have never subscribed to the theory that filling the crankcase with 1/2 quart less oil than the manufacuturer recommends will solve blowby problems. I fill both mine to the full mark and neither burns or pukes oil. My breathers are vented to the atmosphere and I get a lttle oil film on the inside of the football cover between changes (every 3000 miles) but no dripping.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On a softail it is not the crankcase you are running a half quart low, it is the oil tank, which is separate from the crankcase. Almost everyone I know with a softail has to run it a little low. It may be because of the high temperature in Oklahoma, but it still solves the problem. It could also be that my bike is lowered a little over an inch in the rear, a 1/2 quart low may actually be the proper level if the bike was sitting at stock height. It could be I am running a K&N filter and SE back plate. Either-way, I don't enjoy wiping the oil off my oil tank when it blows by and out the filter, which is solved by running it a little low.
I do agree the over filling won't do any permanent damage, other than maybe fouling a plug.

Originally Posted by djl
The over filling didn't do any permanent damage; the extra oil was passed through the breathers. H-D will tell you that oil consmption of 1 quart every 1500 miles is acceptable, so a quart in 5000 miles is not excessive.

I have never subscribed to the theory that filling the crankcase with 1/2 quart less oil than the manufacuturer recommends will solve blowby problems. I fill both mine to the full mark and neither burns or pukes oil. My breathers are vented to the atmosphere and I get a lttle oil film on the inside of the football cover between changes (every 3000 miles) but no dripping.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
On a softail it is not the crankcase you are running a half quart low, it is the oil tank, which is separate from the crankcase. Almost everyone I know with a softail has to run it a little low. It may be because of the high temperature in Oklahoma, but it still solves the problem. It could also be that my bike is lowered a little over an inch in the rear, a 1/2 quart low may actually be the proper level if the bike was sitting at stock height. It could be I am running a K&N filter and SE back plate. Either-way, I don't enjoy wiping the oil off my oil tank when it blows by and out the filter, which is solved by running it a little low.
I do agree the over filling won't do any permanent damage, other than maybe fouling a plug.
One of my bikes is a softail; a 2005, 95" Deuce and I know where the oil tank is. I ride in south Texas; it was 103* today. My bike is lowered 1.5" in the rear and I also run an SE backing plate with a Zippers Mo Flo air filter. I keep her topped off and I may get a little weep at the digital temp guage/filler cap and an oil film on the inside of the football cover between changes but that's it. It could be that my breathers being vented to the atmosphere has something to do with it.

I want as much oil as I can get in the motor; the more oil circulating, the cooler the motor.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
wiktor
Tourer

Thanks for the reply's. Mine isn't lowered or anything changed with the ride height.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Weakdog3
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 FLHR and just had the 30,000 mile service. When I got home I noticed that the oil was right at the Full when hot.... It has never been there before. After it cooled I checked it the next morning and it still read at the Full when hot mark. I took it on a ride with friends and I was climbing a small hill and I smelled hot oil and pulled over... My buddy thought I was on fire from all the smoke and oil was dripping from behind the air cleaner. My bike was a mess! I let it cooled and it seemed to run OK after that. I talked to the shop that did the service and they said to take a few ounces out, so I took out about 4 oz out which brought it to mid way on the stick. (remember ...I don't know how much oil I left on the road that day) I then headed to on a 3200 mile trip and when I got back I have oily mess all over my saddlebags and used nearly a quart of oil. I did stop by a Harley dealer in Missoula (Great experience there by the way) and he said that by over filling (4 qts) that my umbrella valves may be bad now. Said I should be fine but suggested replacing them when I get a chance or upgrade to bigger ones. I'm going to talk to the shop today and see what they think and whether I will use them again. The last time they did an oil change they gave me 1/2 qt. of Syn3 back when I picked up the bike. This time no oil back, so I figure they put in the whole 4 qts. Will post on what I find out today!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

My owners manual for our 07 says on page 89....

Do not overfill tank. Doing so can result in oil carryover to the air Cleaner leading to equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00190a)

Also in the NOTE section no.8,,, it says to Fill oil tank with no more than 3.0 quarts of oil...

Quick Reply: Overfilling Oil ??