Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do dealers hate Power Commander?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

PC-V is not married to any one bike, and can be removed and installed on another bike, so long as it's the same model. SEST is married to one specific motorcycle.

Also, only costs 300 bucks, and Fuel Moto has ALOT of tunes for just about any combination.

~Joe

Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949

Plus the SEST/SERT has about twice the turning ability. I've read the PC has about 150 settings where the SERT has 297. So with a good tuner they should be able to dial the motor in ever better.

look through this seach link to learn more....
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1266&bih=633
Originally Posted by TheTroupe
Slight correction the PCIII have over 432 discrete settings so tuning is not limited in that sense. Yes the SEST & SERT have access to more features but also once installed it must stay with that bike, this is not a problem for some folks but for others it is an issue.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Ur right as the numbers above I gave where older numbers I found just doing a quick search.

I just found a newer dated 2007. from another forum.. ER's -CVO

post below is from this link...
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10335.0

FLHRSEI.ORG

Date 1-17-2007

Re: Power Comander Vs SERT
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
"The Dyno Jet Power Commander unit with it's 126 fuel adjustment cells and 126
spark timing cells offer simplicity that cannot always compensate for the high
demands of a modified V-Twin engine. Especially when the cylinders have a
different V.E. rate, this also offers a "Band-Aid" solution at best.
The H-D EFI Race Tuner Kit offers 220 Volumetric Efficiency adjustment cells for
each cylinder along with an Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) adjustment table that has an
additional 120 cells for a total of 560 fuel adjustment cells. There are also 220
cells for each cylinder to compensate for spark timing, fuel enrichment cells for
cold start and cranking enrichment for easier starting. With these extra tables and
cell adjustments there are over 1000 adjustments that can be made. Also
consider the advantages with having the ability to set your idle mixture as well as
idle speed and having access to your own rev limiter which is adjustable from
4000 to 7500 RPM. "

__________________________________________________ _________________

The Dyno Jet Power Commander does not alter the stock rev limiter. That is why
many people use the Stage 1 Download along with it. The Stage 1 Download
raises the rev limiter to 6200 RPM.

And even this post I found in a search is 4yrs old.....

Last edited by oct1949; 07-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The local dealer here prefers and advises the Power Commander. Reason being is that they are a certified Dynojet dealer and installer. They have one of the Dynojet dynos and have a Dynojet certified tech that attends all of the training classes so that he can stay up to date on all of the latest technology. The store manager told me they prefer the Power Commander because they can tune it to squeeze every bit of available power out of a build.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:33 PM
cryan9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usefulshrimp
I've gotten onto the subject of using a PC5 with 3 of my local dealers and they all hate it and recommend I go with a Harley Race Tune instead, saying they've had nothing but problems with the PC5.

Considering they sell both, I'm confused why they push me away from the PC5? Of course they may just be trying to sell me Harley products...
It's about money bro!!! Harley Parts guys get commission. The Race Tuner is more expensive and takes longer to tune. So they hit you on the parts side and the service side.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,525 Likes on 22,675 Posts

Originally Posted by usefulshrimp
I've gotten onto the subject of using a PC5 with 3 of my local dealers and they all hate it and recommend I go with a Harley Race Tune instead, saying they've had nothing but problems with the PC5.

Considering they sell both, I'm confused why they push me away from the PC5? Of course they may just be trying to sell me Harley products...
Just call up Fuel Moto, tell them what you have for components(A/C, slip-ons and buy one of em' for $300 and a little change and put it on in about 15-30 minutes and ride and go. No need to dyno em' either. That's why HD don't like em', cause they're plug and play and don't need dyno-ing to the $Tune of $100 bux an hour for 3-4 hours minimum.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Just call up Fuel Moto, tell them what you have for components(A/C, slip-ons and buy one of em' for $300 and a little change and put it on in about 15-30 minutes and ride and go. No need to dyno em' either. That's why HD don't like em', cause they're plug and play and don't need dyno-ing to the $Tune of $100 bux an hour for 3-4 hours minimum.
Well, actually you should still get it dynoed. The maps that are sent out from Fuel Moto are basically a generic map for the particular setup that is on the bike that has been proven to work. They are good enough to get you by but if you want the best performance then you should get it on a dyno for fine tuning. A lot of people don't realize that the same map will not give the same performance to a bike that is run a high elevations as it would give a bike that runs at lower elevations. There are a lot of variables that come into play.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLives
I did a PC, reason is cause I like to tune myself, and dont have the HD computers.
So I went with a PC, love it so far.
And if I do anything or make changes I can plug my laptop in and make all my own adjustments.
AND I'm not calling the dealer for a service appointment, waiting forever, then dishing out 200-400 every time.
jmo.
I have a SERT and do the same as you. A PC is a good low cost tuner for minor eng mods. If you do more than it's either a Harley tuner or TTS, both reprogram the ECM and nothing is added. Veyr clean that way

Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Well, actually you should still get it dynoed. The maps that are sent out from Fuel Moto are basically a generic map for the particular setup that is on the bike that has been proven to work. They are good enough to get you by but if you want the best performance then you should get it on a dyno for fine tuning. A lot of people don't realize that the same map will not give the same performance to a bike that is run a high elevations as it would give a bike that runs at lower elevations. There are a lot of variables that come into play.
Very true,Plus the base map won't always run right in anyother bike than the one is was made for. The basic maps are a good starting point but thats it.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
You are right to a point, they are plug and play but a map made across the country will work but sometimes not the best

Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 PM
bazzhed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cryan9
It's about money bro!!! Harley Parts guys get commission. The Race Tuner is more expensive and takes longer to tune. So they hit you on the parts side and the service side.
with all due respect...you couldnt be further off base bro. i have worked in two harley dealerships as a part time parts guy. harley parts guys do NOT work on commission. we get an hourly wage, different dealers will reccomend different parts based on the experience of the dealer. but i can speak for most of the parts guys i have ever worked for...as well as the service techs at both stores when i say the reason they reccommend the sert over pc, is for ease of tuning and the fact that the sert is not a piggy back system. nothing more...nothing less. in fact, some of the tuners i know like the tts mastertune over the sert...and we dont even deal those.

Quick Reply: Why do dealers hate Power Commander?