Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange shifting problem???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Strange shifting problem???

Had the 10K service done by a local indy on my 2005 train. Bike was perfectly fine, no probs. Get it back, it will hardly shift until warmed up. The shifter seems unable to engage the gear and actually feels like it is missing the gear, as in going past without engaging. Then I have to go back down to a lower gear and try again. It stops doing this after warmed up. I am obviously going to take it back monday, but wondering if anyone had any insight.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Poorly done clutch adjustment maybe? Def take it back and make them fix it!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

I had a free 1K service done when I bought my bike;'01 LowRider. Afterwards, Tranny started making noise in 4th. Got louder as I put on a couple hundred miles,until it was screaming in 4th gear. Brought it back 3 times, they bullshitted me about a gear spacing adjustment. Finally found the problem on my own--At the 1K service, they drained the tranny oil, but forgot to FILL IT! They were embarassed to day the least when I called 'em on it. So--I would make sure there's oil in the tranny & primary.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
Poorly done clutch adjustment maybe? Def take it back and make them fix it!
+1
Sounds Like Clutch Adjustment

CC

Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 AM
captainron62
Tourer

yeah, I was thinking clutch adjustment. Feels like it just wont let the gear engage. Funny thing, I just put 1550 miles on the bike in 4 days riding from Ohio to Tenn to do the Dragon and all was good. Bring it home for a fluid change and check up and now I got troubles. haha, such is life I guess.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

all the more reason to get a manual and start doing your own fluid changes and check ups. I took it to the dealer myself for years and just always wondered if they were actually doing everything that needed to be done. Started doing my own and now have piece of mind.

Good luck, hope its something simple!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 AM
captainron62
Tourer

Originally Posted by jreichart
all the more reason to get a manual and start doing your own fluid changes and check ups. I took it to the dealer myself for years and just always wondered if they were actually doing everything that needed to be done. Started doing my own and now have piece of mind.

Good luck, hope its something simple!

thanks, yeah I usually do. but I just got back from a 4 day trip and wanted those fluids dropped asap and didnt have the time. Summer is crazy for me at work and I do shared parenting and hate workin on the bike when the kids are at my house. I think he adjusted the clutch improperly, but its funny that its fine when it warms up.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I had a free 1K service done when I bought my bike;'01 LowRider. Afterwards, Tranny started making noise in 4th. Got louder as I put on a couple hundred miles,until it was screaming in 4th gear. Brought it back 3 times, they bullshitted me about a gear spacing adjustment. Finally found the problem on my own--At the 1K service, they drained the tranny oil, but forgot to FILL IT! They were embarassed to day the least when I called 'em on it. So--I would make sure there's oil in the tranny & primary.
the stories we hear about the dealerships...... i have no idea why i'm even surprised anymore

Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

The clutch pack expands and contracts with heat, same reason a clutch adjustment should ALWAYS be done on a cold bike.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is not the clutch, I would check the bushing in the shifter arm, it is a common problem on softails. The bushing gets little dirt in it and the it makes everything feel weird to the point of not being able to shift.

Quick Reply: Strange shifting problem???