Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Fuel Pack Race Tuner..This machine is too hot!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Fuel Pack Race Tuner..This machine is too hot!

I've read many post concerning the heat problem with the new bikes. I've owned Evo's and they never got this hot to ride. Now that I have the 2011 Deluxe, I'm roasting on this bike. Of course its extremely hot and humid in the South right now, but the heat from this bike is way tooo much for me. I have a CC from Captain Itch and it has helped me not get burned.

The stealer wants me to buy their race tuner and some slipon's to get the EPA down. But I'm retired, money is shorter than it used to be and I'm and older female who just doesn't understand all this.

What remedies do you guys recommend that will not cost me my first born, even though I would love to get her out of my house. I have done nothing to this bike but cosmetics to make it rideable for distance rides. Even at 40-70 mph this bike makes me sweat its so hot. And the first service has been done and it was all changed to syn.

Karen

Old 07-24-2011, 11:28 AM
blink1968
Road Captain

I just put a set of nightrider "xieds" on I love em. runs a lot cooler

Old 07-24-2011, 04:44 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Karen,

Recommend you first purchase an Oil Temperature Dip Stick. This will allow you to compare numbers after making any changes.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nightrider XiEDs helped cool mine considerably. If you're not doing pipes and air filter though you might use IEDs instead. Call nightrider and talk to the owner and he'll let you know what'll work best for your bike. One of the best $100 I spent on the bike.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the XiEDs and the Fuel Pak along with Rush 1.75" slip-ons and a SE air filter. My cyclinders form ice on them when it's running !! Seriously, with that set-up, my bike runs considerably cooler and much much better. Still, I've thought about adding an oil cooler.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

To get the heat down to acceptable levels, the bike needs to be properly tuned. This constitutes getting aftermarket pipes, aftermarket intake, a fuel management device and ideally getting it dynoed. The cost for all this will send you well over $1k. If that is too much, I recommend trading back to an Evo. That's not a bad thing. Evos are bullet-proof and have that old-school sound. They're also easier to work on, 'cuz they're carbed and have less fuel emissions crap on them.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can't spend a lot of money I suggest you start with either an add-on fuel managment system or a stage 1 upgrade download.
A new set of pipes and an intake are not an absolute requirment for either add-on and should cool things down a bit for you.
I wouldn't rule out getting an oil cooler if you can afford it, they can help keeps the temps down when the bike is moving.
It will also reduce the time it takes to get the temps back to a more tolerable level after its been cooking in traffic.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't for sure, maybe others can chime in, but I've heard that cams as well play a big part in cooling. I think it has to do with much more overlap in the valve timing.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master
Default Hot

Thanks for the advice, but I sold my 93 FXLR because it just beat me to death. I'm 60 years old and still want to ride. The Deluxe doesn't make me not able to walk when I get off it. Its just too hot. Plus for a possible trade in, I didn't want to use up too much money on the bike when it doesn't count on trades. I agree the EVO's are the best made, but I'm not able to take care of one now at this age as I use too.

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
To get the heat down to acceptable levels, the bike needs to be properly tuned. This constitutes getting aftermarket pipes, aftermarket intake, a fuel management device and ideally getting it dynoed. The cost for all this will send you well over $1k. If that is too much, I recommend trading back to an Evo. That's not a bad thing. Evos are bullet-proof and have that old-school sound. They're also easier to work on, 'cuz they're carbed and have less fuel emissions crap on them.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Just putting on some miles helped a little...

Ours when new ran about 250*

After the 1k service and a stg1 with SERT, and a dnyo, she ran around 235*

At 10K did Syn oil and the temp dropped another 5*

At the 15k service we had cams in stalled.. Now she runs 210-220*

All these readings are on the open road, not stuck in traffic. Also with the dial temp oil dipstick.

I've been reading in here for Yrs, since 2000 when the TC's first came out that almost every Yr members complain about the Heat...

Pay U harley tax and she'll cool down. 30-40*

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Fuel Pack Race Tuner..This machine is too hot!