Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This story is too good to be true, but it is!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This story is too good to be true, but it is!

Ok so the wifey was in the market for her first big girl bike (she started riding 1.5 years ago, I bought her a great starter bike a Yamaha 650 vstar silverado)

After riding a girlfriends lowered Heritage last week while we were all out on a ride together, she was pretty hooked on getting a softail and one with a 6spd was necessary.

after looking on CL and trader for one, we didn't see anything worth making any offers on - I did a quick search for anything with a black ice paint job and found something local

we found a 1 year old 2010 FB in black ice with vivid black highlights - 1900 miles - and when we called the dealership - we were told it was in MINT condition

We negotiate what we felt was a good deal, I know we weren't stealing it, but it was the color wifey wanted and I was on a mission. I negotiated the bike being lowered, since she is only 5'2" and fit nicely on a FB Low but was on her tippy toes on the reg FB - so it was being lowered all the way around with the progressive kit

We were told the bike would be ready on Thursday this week and went up to the dealer to pick it up and bring it home.

Well, we weren't there 10 secs and see the bike, run over to it and HOLY COW this thing is crap - this bike sat outside all its life (14 months) every chrome bolt is rusting, every steel piece is rusted beyond recognition, there are rust spots all over the bike, and every piece of aluminum is oxidized so bad everything you touch gives off white chalk - even the fins on the engine are corroded

to say we are pissed off is the understatement of the year - then the salesman (woman) comes out all smiles wanting to shake our hands - are you kidding - we are so pissed she actually asked us if something was wrong - we explain in our calmest voice possible that her version of MINT and our version of MINT are clearly two different definitions and although they have lowered the bike per our request - the bike has been mis-represented over the phone and we would like our deposit back (which was made over the phone without anything signed) and she quickly disappears inside after saying to us, well you knew it was a used bike

R U KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!

the sales manager comes outside to smooth things over and it only gets worse, this is a used bike, nothing is perfect or mint condition in a used bike. He starts asking what he can do to fix things, again I say, give me my deposit and I'll be gone in 60 secs.

He starts talking about replacing bolts, getting the bike detailed by a professional (yeah, they didn't even detail the bike after being in service for the lowering kit and oil change, so there was crap all over the engine)

I calmly tell him, it's not what I can see that worries me, rather what I can't see and you won't replace that is my problem, thanks but no thanks and give me my damn deposit and I'm outta here.

He says, let me see what I can do, and disappears into the showroom - now the wife starts crying - she is just crushed at this point, the color she loves, and she has always had a thing for the FB model so this was her bike.

The sales person comes out and says let's go inside to the finance manager and he will see what can be done.

We sit down in finance and Brian starts talking, so I guess there was a problem with the bike? this sets us both off and we are like, yep sure is, come on out and look at what you guys call MINT condition

the second he lays eyes on the bike, he says "you guys must think we are a bunch on lying ******** at this point" you got that right, then "clearly this bike is not MINT, is not detailed, is not ready for you to purchase and is not in any condition you will be happy with" - yep

he walks inside and says to give him 5 mins - meanwhile we are sitting outside looking at a bike we now hate and don't want anything to do with.

He then sends out the salesmanager to bring us in to the showroom and give us their pitch.

Here's where the story goes into fairytail mode.........

They have a brand new 2011 FB in the showroom (black not black ice)

we have no interest in this bike, but let them talk

Brian says, "we are going to take this new 2011, take off the fenders, tank and chrome rims off that used bike so you get the color you want, swap everything over for you to the new 2011, give you a brand new quick detach sissy bar - and we will do this for $350 less then you were going to pay for the used bike"

I start pushing now, OK so I want the tires swapped from the rims, and I want the new 2011 pulley since the 2010 is already crappy. The wife hits them with, and I want a windshield also.

long long story - here is the only 2011 FB in Black Ice in the country!

they swapped over everything for us, made the bike perfect (the fenders and tank were in incredible shape so we weren't pissed about them, they actually looked great), new tires, the chrome rims, black ice paint scheme all on a brand new 2011 FB with 14 miles - lowered 2 in with the progressive kit all the way around and new sissy bar, new nostalgia windshield - full 2 year warranty (I know they all come with it, but we were looking at a used bike with only 10 mos left under warranty) everything installed and today we got to pick it up!

here she is!

in the showroom

on the trailer

at home in the garage with the new crash bar installed

so just incase any of you out there still don't believe the dealerships can do the right thing - count the wife and I as two that do and as for the final price of the new 2011 FB - $13,700

now the wife has the bike she always wanted, in the color she always wanted, on a bike that is brand new - Treasure Coast Harley ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh and as if that wasn't good enough, the finance rate got better by a half point down to 3.99 since it was a new bike and harley has a special finance rate on 2011 bikes right now for 48 mos

ever feel like you actually won?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 AM
lp johnny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gulp!
nice score

Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 AM
CaptainK
Cruiser

After reading your post I actually had to look at where you are from because that sounds like a dealership I would like to business with.
Tell your wife congrats on the bike.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

F,ing A right man, they made it right. And now some SOB at that dealer is cleaning every stinking inch of that used bike to make it look new, like they should have done to begin with!!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

And that is the way every business should treat their customers! Nice to hear there are some good dealers out there.

Congrats to your wife on the new ride!

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I got a great deal from yellowstone harley davidson in belgrade , mt. good trade in , great interest rate on the short duration loan, great payments, great ill even say exceptional service , friendly staff, everything I could ask for . After so many bad harley dealership experiences this was refreshing.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:07 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

BTW great your wife got the bike she was dreaming about. I think that is really cool!!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad you stood your ground. A lot of people would have been pissed, stared at their boots while the manager talked and settled for the used bike. They were counting on that. I'm glad the Finance guy did the right thing. Congrats on her new bike.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 AM
caaraa
Banned

really good

Quick Reply: This story is too good to be true, but it is!