Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pedal access

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default brake pedal access

I feel like I need to be bow-legged to get good foot placement on brake pedal. My leg hits the AC so its somewhat awkward to get my foot to the pedal.

Are there control enxtensions that will bring the controls out vice forward? Maybe a bigger brake pedal pad? Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions?

Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: brake pedal access

What kind of bike are you riding? It might help to know to make reasonable recomendations.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

On my Deuce, I have to bend my foot to the left to get to the pedal. I've tried to find a longer pedal for it, but it seems like you're stuck with either the little or big. I don't need big - I need one that sticks out two inches further to the right so it's in front of my foot. I'm afraid I'm gonna miss it in a panic stop.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Whoops. Sorry. Riding a 2006 FXSTSI.

Same problem as nine11c2; bending foot inboard for braking. Good for normal operating. On the plus side it causes me to use my front brake more. But I do that anyway. Same concerns though about panic stopping. I'd like to find controls that extend outboard about 2".

Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 PM
AsahiToro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same problem with my 07 Deuce. I have to bend my leg in to get a good hold of the pedal. On quick stops, I could see myself even missing it or my foot slipping off. I just ordered a Ness Big Sucker and heard that it may stick out even more which is probably going to make this even worse. A wider pedal would be great.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser

Same problem here, except adding the Arlen Ness Big Sucker II made it worse. My foot doesn't naturally fall over the pedal, I have to twist my ankle a bit to brake. An annoyance, but I'm getting used to it. A wider pedal would be great.

Jake

Old 11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
AsahiToro
Advanced

F117ewo,

What's the Big Sucker II? I just ordered the Ness Big Sucker w/chrome backing plate for my 07 Deuce. Is that the same?

Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 AM
cjgrog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get an EZ-Brake extender. They list for around $175 - I got mine for $100 on eBay. Pushes it way out front so it's like the brake pedal on your car. Best safety & comfort add-on I've done to my Deluxe. Pic is below.

CJ

Name:  Deluxe4-28-06a.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  163.6 KB

Old 11-10-2006, 10:55 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't find a pic of the e-z brake. Does it extend the brake forward or to the right? I have no need to move it forward, which is what I thought it did - we need to extend them to the right about 2".

I'm gonna make a piece of metal to go between the lever and the brake pad and bolt it in between if I can't find something...

Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 AM
skips69
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded to Kuryakyn ISO grips, shifter peg and brake pedal pad (they offer 2 sizes, I went with the bigger one). I am running the Big Sucker A/C as well - 07' softail custom. Ran the same pegs and air cleaner on my last bike as well - 05' softail standard. I hear what you're saying, but have had no troubles finding the rear brakes personally when needing them RIGHT NOW, or for normal stopping. My leg does rub against the a/c cover though, and I do agree that you have to kind of brake "pigeon toed" a little. It should be something that you get used to, and won't even think about in the case of a panic stop. The ISO brake pedal pad does stick out to the right further though than stock, so it does help. Less than $20 too......

Quick Reply: brake pedal access