Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy petroleum jelly batman!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdunn01
Ok guys. i understand the "indy" or any mechanic needs to make money and he should factor his cost into his labor rate to cover.

The only thing I was not happy with was the 1.5 hours of labor he quoted.
When I can do it on the floor of my garage in .5 hours i would think he could do it on a lift just as quick.

This isn't rocket science. I use a large pan and drain all three at the same time. While I am waiting for it to drain I replace the filter ( I use a 2 liter bottle cut in half and slid under the filter to catch most of the oil from the old filter)

I fill the filter with new oil, reinstall the drain plugs with new o-rings (cheap Insurance) then fill the holes with the proper oil.

I put about 2.5 qts of engine oil in fire the bike for a minute or so and re-check and add slowly until full.

Either way i enjoy working on my own ****. It was just hotter than hell the day I wanted to change it. I would have had him do it for the .5 or .75 hourly rate but can't see paying for additional labor for no reason.

Jim
Not sure what you do for a living but just think of this for a minute, think of what you would bring home for a weeks work if you got paid for what you did and not for the time you were there? be honest with everyone and you wouldn't be writing this in the first place
deduct all the screw around time and coffee breaks etc. . working on a Hot bike on a Hot day is no pleasure for sure

Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Not sure what you do for a living but just think of this for a minute, think of what you would bring home for a weeks work if you got paid for what you did and not for the time you were there? be honest with everyone and you wouldn't be writing this in the first place
deduct all the screw around time and coffee breaks etc. . working on a Hot bike on a Hot day is no pleasure for sure
You are missing my point. If you quote and hourly labor rate why should someone pay more that the actual time it took? Now maybe his hourly labor rate is too low to cover his cost. That is another issue all together. Remember this is for a fluid change not rebuilding part of the bike that might have unknown risks/time involved.

At the end of the day we all have to make choices about what we are willing to pay for any service. I for one like to pay for what I use.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

I understand that, we all want to pay for what we use. I will say that a 3 fluid change sure pays more than a half an hour, well around here it does. just an oil change pays that here. Yes you can get it done in that time for all 3 if done the way you say. It good for you to do your own. The point I am making is thatif you want someone to do work for you either you accept the price or reject it. I don't blame him as I get an hour in time to do the same thing at my house on someone elses bike. For anything else it's just not worth my time to do it.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

by the way we get .4 to just change the oil on a car, trucks are higher

Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

No worries Blk and Chrome and you are right if I was doing this for a living I would want more than $37.50. Especially when it is ball cooking hot! 