Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H duals with quiet baffle .. are they ballsy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011 | 11:16 PM
rsarno
|
Road Master
Default V&H duals with quiet baffle .. are they ballsy?

i know this is the stupidest question, i just cant think of another way to ask it lol

With my current exhaust if i wanted to (which i dont) i can usually set off car alarms at will when driving by if i twist it good

now im wanting to do the V&H duals with fishtails with quiet baffles, i believe they will be a little calmer at idle, im wondering if they will still scream when i get on it? I really like being able to twist it and people know im coming lol.

But i dont want crazy pipes, i need it to be a bit more tame at idle.

Thanks for any feedback

To explain what i DONT want, my buddy has a road glyde with v&h head pipe with a bub muffler ... he could sneak up on a cat with that thing lol. He says when i get older or take longer trips ill want it quiet ... but for right now i want it mellow at idle, but then i want to hear it RAWR when im on it

advice?

Old 07-16-2011 | 07:17 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

My Deluxe had duals on when I bought it and had the quiet baffles in, and I hated the sound, hard to put into words, but I just didnt like it,
I changed them for the standard baffles and its much better, one thing I would also add is that whatever you decide on make sure you get it mapped right, I dont know for sure but I think my bke was mapped for the standard baffles, and that the previous owner changed them for quiet ones without remapping, when I changed the baffles, it was like a different bike, it used to get bogged down easily and needed to downshift a lot, it now pulls much better.

Old 07-16-2011 | 09:08 PM
rsarno
|
Road Master

quick bump for more info .. itching to make the buy on monday

Id like to hear from people who have the V&H fishtails with quiet baffle, im just afraid it will be TOO quiet

Last edited by rsarno; 07-16-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2011 | 10:15 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

As far as I am concerned, they are still loud, but loudness is very personal. The quiet baffle only brings down the volume with 2 db according to V&H themselves. They make the exhaust a bit more mellow at idle. (added advantage is that they will also give you more back pressure so you don't loose too much torque at lower rpm)

All I can tell you is that I put in some extra baffles from smartpartz (lowers volume with another 10 db) and when I crack the throttle they still "RAWR" and I still think they are too loud. But then, i am "old" and agree with your buddy on wanting it quiet.

See if you can find someone with them installed. Only way you can tell for sure if it really is what you want.

Old 07-16-2011 | 11:26 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Ive had two different V&H exhausts with the quiet baffles and on both, I removed them for the standard baffles. To my ears, the standard baffles just sound so much better, throatier sound and more rumble. I also believe my bikes have performed better with the standard baffles versus the quiet baffles.

Old 07-17-2011 | 08:52 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

Id like to hear from people who have the V&H fishtails with quiet baffle, im just afraid it will be TOO quiet
I've got their Quiet Baffles installed -very pleased with the tone and performance. In comparing baffled vs. unbafffled, I prefer the mellow tone (along with happy neighbors) over a loud and obnoxious roar.

Old 07-17-2011 | 08:57 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

I have a deuce with the big shot staggered pipes. And they were also way to loud.Starting the bike in the morning before 7am was my problem. I got the v&h quiet baffles and they sucked. I had to make my own to really fix the problem.

Old 07-17-2011 | 10:35 AM
rsarno
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
I have a deuce with the big shot staggered pipes. And they were also way to loud.Starting the bike in the morning before 7am was my problem. I got the v&h quiet baffles and they sucked. I had to make my own to really fix the problem.
really???

Old 07-17-2011 | 09:25 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Default my custom baffels

The first baffel is installed to the screw that holds the stock V&H baffel in the pipe. The second spiral baffel is a cabinet handle that you can buy in Home Depot and that was secured with the screw that holds the end cap onto the pipe. The bike sounds great and runs good!

Attached Thumbnails V&H duals with quiet baffle .. are they ballsy?-deuce-baffels.jpg   V&H duals with quiet baffle .. are they ballsy?-baffel-drawings.jpg   V&H duals with quiet baffle .. are they ballsy?-baffel.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011 | 09:57 PM
rsarno
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
The first baffel is installed to the screw that holds the stock V&H baffel in the pipe. The second spiral baffel is a cabinet handle that you can buy in Home Depot and that was secured with the screw that holds the end cap onto the pipe. The bike sounds great and runs good!
I dont know much about this stuff, can you explain the effect those handles had on the pipes? How was it different from just the baffles from V&H alone?

Quick Reply: V&H duals with quiet baffle .. are they ballsy?