Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H duals with quiet baffle .. are they ballsy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011 | 10:56 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

The big shots are 2'' pipes. And the stock baffels you can look straight thru them like there not baffels at all. To me there is no back psi on the motor. They had a hollow sound like they were sucking air back in . By making and install the two baffles. It lowered the sound much more then there quite baffels ( sent back ) and I also gained a deeper sound and got rid of the hollow bottle sound to boot. Is the bike still loud hell yeah but I'm 51 and the friends I ride with like the way the bike sounds now to. I will also say I can now go for a good 200 or 300 mile run on the weekends and when I get back my ears aren't ringing. Be patient before you buy your new pipes.

Old 07-18-2011 | 06:36 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

Great information (and damm clever) here Iron IHorse!
Also, very clear and concise 'shop drawing' w/ explanation. Engineering background?

Old 07-18-2011 | 08:37 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master

I have the V&H with the quiet baffles and I like them. My wife rides with me on her own Heritage and she does not like loud pipes, especially since she follows me most of the time. They have a different tone to them, more of a loping sound at idle. They do get loud during operating but when cruising they are quiet. Hope this helps....

Old 07-18-2011 | 10:27 AM
TWNomad
Cruiser
Lightbulb Quiet baffles

I have the Big Shot Staggered and they were a little too loud for me too with the stock baffle. Having my ears for an hour after a long ride was too much. I went with the quiet baffles but ditched the fiberglass wrap they come with and re-wrapped them with some ceramic fiber from mcmaster-carr.com. The stock glass they come with burns and ends up blowing out your tail pipe after awhile and then sounds like poo. The ceramic fiber will not burn and will last longer then the pipes and gives it a deeper tone. I also ended up using the smartparts hard kore quiet baffles with the V&H quiet baffles to quiet mine down even more, but I like to ride long distance and still like to be able to hear when i get there. The tone with both add ins is much mellower and deeper at idle, but will still get loud when you twist it and is a nice rumble going down the road at cruising speeds. If you like it a little louder try the stock baffles first with the hard kores add on and see if that's what your looking for and if not try the re-wrapped V&H quiet baffles first alone and then with the hard kores. The good thing is these parts are all not to expensive, but Iron lHorse solution is even cheaper and if I had seen that first I would definitely tried that first. But overall I'm satisfied with the sound.... for now that is.

Here is where I got the re-wrap info:

Originally Posted by handyhoward
It's an easy mod that can accomplish a couple of pluses other than just a quieter ride... it also gives the V&H a deeper rumble and a better air flow and back pressure. Go to www.mcmaster-carr and click on ceramic fiber, scroll down to silica fabric, and buy 1 foot of SKU 8799K3 @ $9.26 plus $4.39 shipping... total $13.65. The 1 foot is 3 feet wide so there is plenty of fabric to double wrap each baffle.
and this is the hard kores

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHBSS.html

Old 07-18-2011 | 11:00 AM
rsarno
|
Road Master

Thanks everybody, ordered them this morning from Dr. V-Twin

Old 07-18-2011 | 11:05 AM
rsarno
|
Road Master

These were my biggest concerns:

1. my bike sits outside of my landlords bedroom window ... so firing up at 8am would be an issue if its TOO loud. Pushing out of driveway gets old lol.

2. My 3yr old daughter really likes when she is following me in a car, and i rev the bike for her .. so i didnt want it so quiet that she wouldnt get a thrill from it

3. i feel like a real badass when i twist it and announce my presence hehe

From everything im hearing, it sounds like the Quiet Baffles might be just fine. Quiet enough at idle to not be obnoxious, and yet still scream when i twist it up ... nothing better than watching my 3yr old girl begging me to rev it hahaha

Thanks again all, and thanks to Drew for some awesome customer service. Well beyond the typical ecommerce experience.

Old 07-18-2011 | 11:30 AM
TWNomad
Cruiser

yeah, sounds like the quiets will do you just fine. I still recommend re-wrapping them with the ceramic fiber and saving you self some trouble down the road though. For $14 you can't go wrong. Let us know how you like the new pipes!

Old 07-18-2011 | 11:36 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Rich, thanks for your order. I am throwing in the 02 sensor plugs free of charge with your order as you will need them.

Drew

Old 07-18-2011 | 02:28 PM
rsarno
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Rich, thanks for your order. I am throwing in the 02 sensor plugs free of charge with your order as you will need them.

Drew
My satisfaction with the exhaust, or price is secondary to how extraordinary your customer service was.

Its a good thing you don't, but you could really get away with higher prices in exchange for such quality personal service.

Great working with you Drew, looking forward to future purchases.