Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride With Out Full Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:01 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by inaroush
I am bout to do an 800 mile run I have a Shark Helmet for this type of ride it is a 3/4 which converts to full face if necessary. If I am staying local or a somewhat short couple hundred mile run it is a skull cap all the way. Anything with major highway running gets more - not worried about a bug ro two, but dont want to eat a pebble from a truck or car at 70 mph....
I find it interesting that many people seem to wear their full-face helmet on trips, and a beanie the rest of the time. Is there some statistic that shows that most accidents only happen to people who are on long trips? Or to people who are going faster than 65 mph? What, exactly, is the logic here?

There are many reasons for not wearing a full-face helmet, though I've yet to hear any that are convincing. Most, I believe, seem to be excessively concerned with their image -- or, one might say, the way they look when they're posing. Not that I care what they wear -- it's more about having to listen to their tortured reasoning about it.

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:27 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Wear a full face Arai, perf Joe Rocket Jacket, AlpineStar race gloves and Oxtar boots.
As the temps get cooler i wear my Joe Rocket Leather pants.

Came from a sport bike and dirt bike back ground. I don't ride for an image.
I do however believe in letting people wear what they want. If you feel comfortable with just a skull cap, wear it and enjoy!

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:30 AM
Tracker56
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
I find it interesting that many people seem to wear their full-face helmet on trips, and a beanie the rest of the time. Is there some statistic that shows that most accidents only happen to people who are on long trips? Or to people who are going faster than 65 mph? What, exactly, is the logic here?

There are many reasons for not wearing a full-face helmet, though I've yet to hear any that are convincing. Most, I believe, seem to be excessively concerned with their image -- or, one might say, the way they look when they're posing. Not that I care what they wear -- it's more about having to listen to their tortured reasoning about it.
It's all about perceived risk. Many feel that with increased speed comes increased likelihood of injury. Statistically, there are more accidents w/injury at less than 45 MPH. But, then again, that's probably because they weren't wearing helmets because of less perceived risk. Conversely, one fall at 70 MPH will definitely require the best safety equipment you can afford. Just sayin' ATGATT (all the gear all the time) is the only way to be sure you have done all YOU can to be protected. But, what do I know. I wear a half helmet because I like the wind in my face and bugs don't hurt bad enough to make me change my mind.

Old 07-20-2011 | 07:04 AM
LocoPilot750
Cruiser

I don't like wind & bugs in my face at high speed interstate riding, so I do have a windshield, but will still wear a FF helmet when I travel. The full face with a tinted visor, keeps the UV rays off my scalp, face & ears. Even with sunglasses, the smoked vison makes things easier when riding into the sun on a hot day, and the constant roar of the engine & the wind are hard on the ears long term without. On the down side, I don't like the additional weight on my neck. Funny though, When I ride to town in the evening, I usually just wear a cap, event hough city riding is probably more risky than riding out on the highway.

Old 07-20-2011 | 02:19 PM
poppavein
Road Master

I wear a FF helmet because it gets cold and wet up here; I'm a puss.

Currently wearing one of those modular helmets. It's a bit noisy, but I like the jet pilot sunshade that drops down, the front opens up so you can see when backing up, and it has Bluetooth ...

Old 07-20-2011 | 02:41 PM
ITZ4me515
Cruiser

Wear whatever YOU feel is enough protection & YOU are comfortable with, anybody else's opinion doesn't really matter.

I personally hate wearing any type of helmet, as it messes up my hair...LOL...just kidding!

I don't like the added weight on my head & the added wind resistance they bring, especially the way it pulls up on the 1/2 helmet. That being said, I do wear a FF when the temperature is below 40 or so. I also use a windshield for LONG distance, with a backrest, to take of the strain.

Bugs, sand, & rocks do suck, but it's part of being in the wind.

Also unless the forecast is 60%+ I consider it a clear day. 30% just means they've covered their @$$es in case it rains...they can say they told you so

Old 07-20-2011 | 03:03 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army

You don't get the total riding experience with a FF helmet. If ya ain't gettn' hit in the face with with bugs and road rocks ya ain't living. And that wind in the ear, ya just can't beat it!

Old 07-20-2011 | 05:06 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot

Amen !!!

Old 07-20-2011 | 06:56 PM
Milty
Road Master

I got hit in the face by a rock about the size of a silver dollar as it fell off an oilfield lowboy trailer when I was doing 140 km hr. I yelled a battle cry as it hit me in the bottom of the glasses and cheekbone. Although it's hard to look cool with tears rolling face on a highway I wouldn't have i any other way. Half helmet for life..

Old 07-30-2011 | 07:53 PM
jmillas
4th Gear

I'm in the helmet brigade...I wear a Shoei RF1100 full face 98% of the time that I ride. I don't go out of my way to seek out pain, be it bugs rocks or whatever. I DO go out of my way to enjoy my ride and not have the worries about dodging flying objects.

Quick Reply: Long Ride With Out Full Face Helmet