Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First real problem with the Fattie. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First real problem with the Fattie. Any suggestions?

I had the Fattie on the trickle charger for about 1 1/2 weeks while I brought the RV with wife and daughter down to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Seeing all the guys and gals on their rides had me green with envy the whole time.

First thing when i got back was fire up the Fattie and take a spin. Started up and idled normal enough. Got about three KM's down the road and came to a light and she just died. Started right back up but had to keep goosing the throttle. Went a little ways just giving it a little gas when needed and decided to stop to get a few things. No problems starting and idling after about 20 mins. of cool down. Continued on my way for about 1/2 hr and again won't idle and kept threatning to cut out without a little throttle. It even backfired once, first time ever. Made it to the house and pulled in the clutch without giving it any gas and sure enough, the bike died. Tried starting it again and after and few turns of the starter, it started with a cloud of black exhaust. Also tried it a few more times and it started every time with the idle being lower than normal at first but the cooler the Fattie became the more normal the idle became.
It has a stage one with just the down load from the dealership. I know everyone will SUGGEST GETTING A FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM and I will once the funds are available. This is the first time I had any problems with it and it seems to be a fuel delivery problem. I had the occasional decel pop with the download and prior to my leave, it seemed to have gotten a little worse.
It is a little long winded but I know there is a lot of knowledge on this forum and I figure someone may have a little insight in my problem. Again i will be getting a FM system in the near future, will probably give Jamie a call. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by gunner065; 07-14-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Save yourself some sleepless nights and just take the bike in for service. The symptoms you describe could be caused by any number of system malfunctions and no doubt, most of them will be posted here shortly. These sensor based bikes with all of their interconnected electronics are impossible to diagnose with certainty when issues like yours occur. In the old days I would recommend that you change the fuel filter and give the carb a good cleaning/adjustment. Today, without sophisticated diagnostic equipment and the knowhow to use them, your chances of diagnosing and correcting the problem the first time around are practically nil. We all dread going to the dealer but sometimes it's the only course of action that makes sense.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:54 AM
gunner065
Road Captain

Thanks man. That's what I figured that I'd have to do.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

You're welcome and I hope they get it right the first time 'round for ya'.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that sounds like what my FatBoy did when the battery in the key fob went bad. replaced it and everything was fine.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
gunner065
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aviator
that sounds like what my FatBoy did when the battery in the key fob went bad. replaced it and everything was fine.
The battery in the fob is only a year old but it's worth a shot.

Cheers

Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner065
The battery in the fob is only a year old but it's worth a shot.

Cheers
HD says they only last a year. Walmart sells them pretty cheap. worth trying that before another long run to the dealer.

I agree with AZrenegade - take it back to the dealer if that doesn't work..... you could spend days chasing a gremlin.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First I would check for codes. I bet you the bike is just itchin to tell you what's wrong.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
gunner065
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fcsallan
First I would check for codes. I bet you the bike is just itchin to tell you what's wrong.
I'll do a search on how to check the codes and see what I come up with. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Old 07-14-2011, 04:34 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

is this fatty fuel injected or carbed ?

Quick Reply: First real problem with the Fattie. Any suggestions?