Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First real problem with the Fattie. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011 | 04:37 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gunner065
I'll do a search on how to check the codes and see what I come up with. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

its stickied at the top of the this forum...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...odes-dtcs.html

my guess is, unless the check engine light came on, it most likely won't have a code.

i have a fuel injected 07 and had the same problem last yr. i took the AC off and cleaned the carbon out of the throttle body and ran some carb cleaner through the throttle boddy while giving it some fuel to help clean out the IAC passages. i ahven't had any problems since.

Old 07-14-2011 | 05:23 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

I bet it's your blinker fluid. I changed my '07 to synth and haven't looked back. Either that or it's that friggin' key fob thingie...

Old 07-14-2011 | 06:11 PM
gunner065
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
its stickied at the top of the this forum...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...odes-dtcs.html

my guess is, unless the check engine light came on, it most likely won't have a code.

i have a fuel injected 07 and had the same problem last yr. i took the AC off and cleaned the carbon out of the throttle body and ran some carb cleaner through the throttle boddy while giving it some fuel to help clean out the IAC passages. i ahven't had any problems since.
Duh. Thanks

Old 07-14-2011 | 07:05 PM
gunner065
|
Road Captain

The only time the check engine light came on was when the Fattie stalled. When she was started up again, the light went out. Will still check the codes when I have the time. Thanks for all the suggestions, even the blinker fluid.

Old 07-14-2011 | 09:18 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

I'm thinking what could have happened to your bike during the time you were gone if it was running fine before. Strange.. Any possibility of anyone messing with it?

Old 07-14-2011 | 09:22 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Bad fuel?

Old 07-14-2011 | 09:55 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gunner065
I had the Fattie on the trickle charger for about 1 1/2 weeks while I brought the RV with wife and daughter down to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Seeing all the guys and gals on their rides had me green with envy the whole time.

First thing when i got back was fire up the Fattie and take a spin. Started up and idled normal enough. Got about three KM's down the road and came to a light and she just died. Started right back up but had to keep goosing the throttle. Went a little ways just giving it a little gas when needed and decided to stop to get a few things. No problems starting and idling after about 20 mins. of cool down. Continued on my way for about 1/2 hr and again won't idle and kept threatning to cut out without a little throttle. It even backfired once, first time ever. Made it to the house and pulled in the clutch without giving it any gas and sure enough, the bike died. Tried starting it again and after and few turns of the starter, it started with a cloud of black exhaust. Also tried it a few more times and it started every time with the idle being lower than normal at first but the cooler the Fattie became the more normal the idle became.
It has a stage one with just the down load from the dealership. I know everyone will SUGGEST GETTING A FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM and I will once the funds are available. This is the first time I had any problems with it and it seems to be a fuel delivery problem. I had the occasional decel pop with the download and prior to my leave, it seemed to have gotten a little worse.
It is a little long winded but I know there is a lot of knowledge on this forum and I figure someone may have a little insight in my problem. Again i will be getting a FM system in the near future, will probably give Jamie a call. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Seperate what you know from what you don't know. What you know is the bike ran fine. You put it on a charger for a week and a half, then it ran like crap. Based on this info, I'd check the battery connections, see if they're tight. If they are, take the battery out and have it checked at you local auto parts store, they do it for free. Since your bike wasn't driving itself around while you were gone, seems like the trickle charger caused some sort of mayhem.

Old 07-14-2011 | 11:03 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Could be any number of things, and the recommendation to have someone who can test the system accurately is a good one. Your symptoms could mean any of a number of vastly different things.

The DTC will be from when it stalled. Whatever is wrong; that is what caused it to stall, and the stalling set the DTC. It's a Chicken and the Egg thing. In this case the DTC is a result of the problem and not really of any diagnostic value. So I'd not value the DTC as it'll have you chasing a lot of dead ends and maybe even replacing parts that are really OK.