Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe Rear Saddlebag Guards

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,902 Likes on 4,131 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeraph
Bone Doc,
Thanks for the reply. I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the heritage guards WILL NOT fit with a stock seat because of the rail, correct? There's a bunch for sale on ebay that are for the Springer, but it says 97-99 FLSTS. As I may have mentioned, I'm working with a 2012 FLSTN.

Like this for example... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SADDLEBAGS-G...ZZE9e~&vxp=mtr

If my theory is correct, if you're running a stock seat, an aftermarket exhaust, and a tool box, this is really the only option.
I'm sorry. Since I don't have the seat rail, I can't answer your question accurately. Hopefully someone will chime in for you.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 AM
JefferiesHD1
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello, I don't remember who I ordered them from on eBay. Seems like they came from Texas. Don't matter what year, they all say 97-99. They will work with with duals and a right side tool box. I had to order longer rear passenger peg bolts from Fastenal. I drilled the threads out of the frame holes and slid the bolts thru and then put a lock nut beside the guards.
As you can see, they work.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:54 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 432 Likes on 230 Posts

Cant remember what part number these are off hand.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 AM
jakeraph
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jefferies, thanks for the clarification and the tips. I'll go with those unless I can find a pair at the So Cal Cycle Swap meet here in Long beach. Back-n-Black, those are the Guards made specifically for the Deluxe PN 49360-08. I like how square those are, but I want something a little bigger. Either way I end up, I will post my findings and the process in a few weeks when it's done. Thanks again for everyone who chimed in. Stayed tuned.

The following users liked this post:
JefferiesHD1 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Chris2fur
Cruiser
Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

What did you end up going with for the saddlebag guards? Seems the HD ones for the Deluxe have been discontinued and it's about as clear as mud which rear guards are compatible.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:48 AM
jakeraph
Intermediate
Default The quest continues.

Originally Posted by Chris2fur
What did you end up going with for the saddlebag guards? Seems the HD ones for the Deluxe have been discontinued and it's about as clear as mud which rear guards are compatible.

I ended up going with a set of the heritage springer ones off eBay. They fit with no issues BUT I ended up returning them. I have a more square engine guard up front. These are much more round and then squared at the bottom. The contrasting shapes looked horrible. If you have more of a round bend up front, it’ll look fine.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222712393211

All the eBay ones are so hard to distinguish, shape wise

As mentioned in the thread before, the only thing preventing the other ones from fitting the deluxe is the bar on the seat. If you have a different seat, there aren’t any issues.

Id go with the small square ones from Harley, but I have the toolbox on the side. Harley says it’s not compatible and I haven’t found anyone saying otherwise, and I haven’t gambled yet.

Wish i I could be more help!

Old 06-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Chris2fur
Cruiser

I ended up going with a set of the heritage springer ones off eBay. They fit with no issues BUT I ended up returning them. I have a more square engine guard up front. These are much more round and then squared at the bottom. The contrasting shapes looked horrible. If you have more of a round bend up front, it’ll look fine.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222712393211

All the eBay ones are so hard to distinguish, shape wise

As mentioned in the thread before, the only thing preventing the other ones from fitting the deluxe is the bar on the seat. If you have a different seat, there aren’t any issues.

Id go with the small square ones from Harley, but I have the toolbox on the side. Harley says it’s not compatible and I haven’t found anyone saying otherwise, and I haven’t gambled yet.

Wish i I could be more help!
That is actually VERY helpful! This is the profile of my front engine guard:

I THINK those lines will work together but I guess there is no knowing until it's on there...

Old 06-21-2019, 01:08 PM
jakeraph
Intermediate

I think that will work out nicely. This is what I have... the bends looked off together. Nice bike!

Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Chris2fur
Cruiser

I think that will work out nicely. This is what I have... the bends looked off together. Nice bike!
Oh, I see. Yeah, not only square-shaped but massive tubing. Probably made the rear guards look pretty wimpy by comparison. So that eBay link that you provided of course lists only as compatible for the '97-'99 Springer, but the consensus seems to be that it will fit the Deluxe, right? If so, I'm going to give it a shot. Other than the bars and headlight nacelle, the former owner did all the work on the bike, which turned out very well for me. Thanks again for the help!

Old 06-21-2019, 01:54 PM
jakeraph
Intermediate

Yeah it’s a big one haha

With regards to the years- I asked that earlier in the thread and got a definitive “it doesn’t matter”.

Hunt around on the listings. I don’t know if that’s the exact posting I purchased, but some sellers offer free shipping AND free returns. In that case, it’s risk free. Bolt them on and see how you like it.

If you pull the trigger, upload some pics!

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe Rear Saddlebag Guards