Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got the 2010 Fatboy Lo wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011 | 12:16 PM
rollin_fatboy
Cruiser

Put your money on the neck bearings needing greased and properly tightened. Mine made it almost 500 miles before I got the wobble. Based on other threads on this forum I thought it was the neck bearings. The dealer messed with air pressure, checked the tire, and a couple of other things before finally conceding that it was in fact the neck bearings being improperly installed from the factory.

You'll find problem tires with any manufacturer. On other bikes I've had issues with pirelli, metzler, bridgestones. I'd still use a pirelli or bridgestone.

Old 07-13-2011 | 12:29 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rollin_fatboy
Put your money on the neck bearings needing greased and properly tightened. Mine made it almost 500 miles before I got the wobble. Based on other threads on this forum I thought it was the neck bearings. The dealer messed with air pressure, checked the tire, and a couple of other things before finally conceding that it was in fact the neck bearings being improperly installed from the factory.

You'll find problem tires with any manufacturer. On other bikes I've had issues with pirelli, metzler, bridgestones. I'd still use a pirelli or bridgestone.

Pesky Union Workers! But wait, I thought if you over paid for labor, you got a better product....

Old 07-13-2011 | 01:26 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rollin_fatboy

+1 on the neck bearings. I'm running the Dunlops and haven't had any issues with the tire. That said...I'm installing my 3rd rear tire this weekend. The factory Dunlop rear tires wear out WAY WAY WAY too fast. But I never had any issues because of either of my Dunlops.

Old 07-15-2011 | 07:41 AM
Port City Hog
|
Advanced

You'd think with a name like "Dunlop"

It'd hafta be good....!!!

Who can name the beer that used that phrase...???

Old 07-15-2011 | 08:01 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Port City Hog
You'd think with a name like "Dunlop"

It'd hafta be good....!!!

Who can name the beer that used that phrase...???

As far as the wobble, I would bet either mal adjusted neck bearings (fall away) or just grease. I ran out of grease and forgot about my neck bearings at the 20K service and by 23K I had it too. I was very surprised with how much grease it took to fill it at that point as well.

Old 07-15-2011 | 10:45 AM
Port City Hog
|
Advanced

yer right. smuckers beer. ha...

The Smuckers Headquarters is only about 15 miles from me. It's in Orville Ohio.

Thanks for yer info

Old 10-17-2011 | 07:56 PM
serjayson
Road Captain

Bump for you

Old 10-17-2011 | 09:07 PM
2wheeltom77
Tourer

Geez I haven't been on here for awhile. So yeah the fatboy has a bigger dunlop than my fx, but it's still a piece of sheit. My "new bike wobble" was most noticable at about 30-35 mph. I'd let go of the bars and it looked like a carnival ride. When I hung my head out and watched the front tire, there was an obvious side to side movement with respect to the rim. After about 10k miles, it was cupped so bad you could see it from 20 feet away. I bought a metzler and aside from the dry rot (appears to have sat on the shelf for a few years), zero problems. The only problems I ever had with neck bearings was the clunking issue, that was resolved with the new torque spec. Oh yeah, gotta love the grease lines on the tank after taking it in to the stealer. I haven't greased my neck bearings for about 15k now. I personally think the grease issue is a myth, though one should hit them up every 10-20k.