Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Wright Wheels is a Stand Up Company!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by studiopeg
Just got back from the hardware store, bought the valve stem tool. Also, called Sam at Ride Wright. He walked me through what to try, just like you guys wrote here.

Will post in a little while what happens.

It's that black cloud that follows me, I'm tellin ya..............
You can't sell that bike after all the work you have put into it. Although you do seem to be right about the black cloud. Maybe if you stop mentioning it it will stop following you and latch on to someone else.

Drew

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:56 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

OK bike is off the market

That was an easy fix. One quick turn of the tool and presto - leak stopped.

I was expecting the worst - remove wheel, remove tire, unseal valve. etc. etc. etc.

Now I am giving her a coat of pig snot. I missed the show but that's ok I wouldn't have won against the skulls and flames choppers that would have been there.

So no more boo hoo!

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:58 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

It seems like every time you have some sort of dead line you have issues. Just ride that beautiful bike! Glad to ehar it was a simple fix and that Sam got you sorted out.

Drew

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:59 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
You can't sell that bike after all the work you have put into it. Although you do seem to be right about the black cloud. Maybe if you stop mentioning it it will stop following you and latch on to someone else.

Drew
What's funny is we woke up this morning and said "what will go wrong today?" and my husband says "today will be filled with rainbows and puppies" as a sarcastic joke.

We turned on the morning news and there was a gorgeous shot of a rainbow the news station was showing. We cracked up.

So today will be a dose of sunshine followed by a silver lined cloud, and I also bought a black-cloud gun at the hardware store.

Old 07-09-2011 | 01:03 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior

Peg, I have your luck beat! Received my wheels from RW, had the wrong bearings in the rear wheel (they sent the right bearings overnight); went to install wheel again and the wheel was offset way left (they sent a new spacer overnight). Installed wheel again and had to **** wheel to clear the drive belt. This was during Bike Week at Daytona so Sam was there but Drew had updated him and he was aware of what was going on when he got back to California. Had to send wheel back to California to get straightened out. Sam got on it the day the wheel showed up, worked on it over the weekend and sent it back and it was good to go. I am not too proud to say, I was very impatient and made a jerk out of myself, but Sam went out of his way to get it right. The rear wheel was a major modification for my bike because I went bigger and there was a chance this could happen.
Got that all straightened out, was coming back from a 200 mile ride one day and heard the dreaded inner primary bearing (major issue on the 2006 Dyna's) start going out. Pulled into Indy West Harley and they agreed, it sounded like the bearing. Left the bike, called the MOCO and told them I knew it was a major issue with the 2006 Dyna's and they gave me a reference number. Got lucky, the MOCO paid to replace the tranny case, inner primary case, bearing, race, etc. $1700 worth of work cost me a $50 deductable.
Ordered a new headlight from Headwinds, received it and the visor was way off centered. Had to send it back, but they made me a new light and sent it over night.
There were times I was thinking of selling my bike also, but now I look at it and know it's not going anywhere. I am learning the hard way, that things do happen, but what makes it easier is knowing there are people out there like Dr. V-Twin, Ride Wright, and Headwinds who will do what they have to do to help and make it all good!

Old 07-09-2011 | 02:30 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

You all are not going to believe this...

The wheel is still doing the same thing as before.

Last night I rode it home from the LED light guy, and he put the repaired wheel on since he already had my stock wheel off to put the lights under the front fender.

Riding it home it was pouring and there was a lot of road noise. It's only 8 miles away and I went 30 mph the whole time. It was hard to hear or be able to tell anything.

Cleaned the bike today and about 10 minutes ago started backing out of the garage to take it for a test ride.

And there was that same thump thump every half rotation.

Called Sam. He is perplexed. He keeps thinking something is rubbing on the wheel. But I told him I had my stock wheel back on while the Fat Daddy was being repaired, and it did not do that. And the Fat Daddy is the same size as my stock - 16".

He is going to overnight me a new one on Monday.

But what in the heck could this be!! The crush tube and the bearings were replaced. What's left but spokes?? I asked him if he thought it could be a spoke but he said no.

My husband is really pissed off but he's going to take me to dinner because he feels so bad for me.

I just don't get it. I really, truly wonder if I am being punished for something.

Old 07-09-2011 | 02:39 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Peg Do you keep switching the tire back and forth or do you have different tires for the Ride wright and stock rim.Could it be the tire? Flat spot etc.I don't know I'm just taking a shot in the dark here.I do know I feel bad for ya though.

Old 07-09-2011 | 02:48 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Malingerer
Peg Do you keep switching the tire back and forth or do you have different tires for the Ride wright and stock rim.Could it be the tire? Flat spot etc.I don't know I'm just taking a shot in the dark here.I do know I feel bad for ya though.
Yeah different tire, different rotor.

It's a brand new tire, the exact same tire/brand as my stock - Dunlop.

The rotor is Ride Wrights. Could it be the rotor??

Old 07-09-2011 | 03:01 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by studiopeg
Yeah different tire, different rotor.

It's a brand new tire, the exact same tire/brand as my stock - Dunlop.

The rotor is Ride Wrights. Could it be the rotor??
I wish I could just tell you what it was.Its hard ,not being able to hear the noise in person.If you get the new rim and it still continues to happen.I would start looking into the tire.Even brand new tires are sometimes out of round and can cause problems.If the wheel spins freely and the rotor doesn't bind on the caliper I don't think that would be the problem. But anything is possible.

Old 07-09-2011 | 03:41 PM
looneytune
Cruiser

If I remember right, it doesn't make the noise up on he jack, just when weight is on it? Does it get any better or worse when you are on the brakes? My rotor is warped, but it makes a vibration sound, not a thump. You can feel and hear where mine is warped when you spin the tire when it's off the ground. It's slows down every time it hits that spot. It could be so many things. Does it get worse the farther you ride or does it make the sound right away and always stays the same? I guess I would check the tire and rotor for being oblong, which would be unlikely but maybe something is rubbing in the fender or the top of the brake caliper. Could be the tire, anything is possible at this point like Malingerer said. If it only does it with weight on it, then maybe the hub adapters or hub has a hair line crack in it. Again, this is all speculation on my part, it's tough to diagnose problems without hearing it myself. If it ends up being the tire, ship it me, I think the plant they are made is close to my house. I'll throw it through the front window for you.

Quick Reply: Ride Wright Wheels is a Stand Up Company!