Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart Cross backs on a Crossbones and wrapping them

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM
metaphysician
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rinehart Cross backs on a Crossbones and wrapping them

So I'm thinking about buying a set of Rinehart Cross backs from a forum member. I had a couple questions. On their website, all the Cross backs say "not for X Bones". What is this about? What is different about the Crossbones from another softail that would prohibit installation? I've seen a few Crossbones with them installed...
http://rinehartracing.com/exhausts/cross-back/400-0100

Also, anyone put exhaust wrap on the Cross backs? How does it look? How does one deal with the different diameters throughout the pipe - double wrap the skinnier parts so the exterior of the wrap looks consistent or wrap as-is? Here's what they look like without the heat shields on so you see what I mean about the different diameters.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Attached Thumbnails Rinehart Cross backs on a Crossbones and wrapping them-106200d1269909247-rinehart-crossback-exhaust-crossback-hardware2.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only thing I can figure is that the stock AC cover is bigger in diameter than with the other models and may get in the way of the Rinehart pipes. If that's the case, you can mount the pipes and get a different AC cover.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
11FXS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put the Crossbacks on my Blackline I went ahead and put the heavy breather intake on it. The service guys said it was a good thing I had decided to do that..because the stock breather just wasnt going to fit and that I was going to have to upgrade the intake anyways. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
lastbike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hv crossbacks on my 07fxstc and to me those pipes look too good to be wrapped. i saw an ad for pythons that were wrapped and they looked good but for the price price of rineharts i wouldnt wrap. some black ones would look good on a crossbones

Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, its the AC cover. Change it and you'll be good to go.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM
metaphysician
Cruiser

Here's a pic of the Crossbacks on what appears to be a stock setup - stock air cleaner, passenger pegs, etc... What am I missing?

Attached Thumbnails Rinehart Cross backs on a Crossbones and wrapping them-p9140002.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question.....................

Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 AM
metaphysician
Cruiser

Also, if I decide to wrap (undecided at this point), how would you guys advise dealing with wrap around the different diameters throughout the length of the pipe so it looks consistent?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Hokie_HD
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

metaphysician,

I think the A/C in the picture you uploaded has been moved up a bit. If you look at yours you can see the top of the A/C comes to the rocker covers. The one in the picture you uploaded is clearly above the rocker covers. It's definitely an issue with the stock A/C.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM
metaphysician
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hokie_HD
metaphysician,

I think the A/C in the picture you uploaded has been moved up a bit. If you look at yours you can see the top of the A/C comes to the rocker covers. The one in the picture you uploaded is clearly above the rocker covers. It's definitely an issue with the stock A/C.

Good luck!
Yup, I think you're right! Thanks for the keen eye. Curious how this guy moved his up, as I would like to keep the stock AC. Will have to tinker later tonight and see what options I have.

Quick Reply: Rinehart Cross backs on a Crossbones and wrapping them