Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADDING 4.5 RISER, HELP WITH CABLES heritage

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
fordgal
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ADDING 4.5 RISER, HELP WITH CABLES heritage

i am adding 4.5 in risers with pullback to my 07 Heritage, and what I have read I have enough factory cables/lines for this. My question is how do I get to the excess cable and pull it out??? It looks like the front brake line and the 2 throttle cables are under the gas tank. do i remove the seat and then the gas tank, or do you think I need to get longer cables? thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in answers to this also. bump

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
moog5050
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed bars on my Lo to street slammers this past weekend. I had the tank and seat off and didn't notice any "additional cable" to pull out. My cables worked without moving them at all, but I did have to loosen and reposition the front brake cable near the switch assembly. If you don't need new cables, be sure to put on both switch assemblies and levers before securing the new handlebars to the risers. You won't be able to put them on afterwards and will need to pull the new bars off again. Ask me how I know. lol In short, I don't think there is any excess cable. It will either fit with the current cable configuration or it won't.

BTW - take your time when pulling the pins from the electrical connectors for wiring. I did it without breaking any, but it may be a good idea to have a few spares so that you don't need to shoot out to the dealer if some break. Be sure to follow the manual when unlocking the connectors to remove the pins and have several different size paperclips (or the right tool) to release them. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know offhand if you can do this with the stock cables and wiring. I'd imagine there is plenty of wiring for the hand controls and you can probably reroute the clutch and idle cable and reposition the brake line, but I have never added 4.5" risers to a heritage. I added 9.5" t bars to my wifes sporty with stock wiring and cables and only repositioned the brake line and rerouted throttle and idle.

Drew

Drew