Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new apes won't stay tight.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:57 PM
Bullbutch
|
Cruiser
Default My new apes won't stay tight.

I got the bike back after having the apes installed and parked it cuz it was raining for a few day then I had a club ride and while I was riding I hit the throttle and the bars moved towards me. So I got to where I was going and tightened them up enough with a piece of crap tool till I got home then I got a good crank down on them.
Yesterday I was riding and the same thing happened again. Now I just took the caps off and it seems like the cap is only making contact with the bars on the very edges but long ways (from the left to the right). Underneath the cap there is no marks at all except at the widest part on the edges by the bolt holes there its being ground down by the grip pattern thats machined into the bars.

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:10 PM
Texas T
Road Master
Smile If you havent

Try some LoctiteThreadlocker

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:15 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

There are other things to try as well. But, the frost thing to realize is that on apes that tall the extra leverage puts a lot few stress on the riser clamp. Fist try some Emory cloth or skateboard grip tape around the bars and crank down the riser. If that stuill does not help you can always drill and tap some set screws into the bottom of the riser that will hold the bars straight. My Carlini risers came with the set screws and this is by far the best holding set up I have ever had.

Drew

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:22 PM
Bullbutch
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TJ6988
Try some LoctiteThreadlocker
The blots aren't loosening up, the bars just wont stay put but thank you..

Last edited by Bullbutch; 07-05-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2011 | 04:23 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer

First what bolts are you using?? Are they some of those chrome bolts that come with alot of bolt on accessories? If so thats part of the problem....get a good set of steel grade 5 bolts......use a thread chasing tap (not cutting tap)to chase the raiser threads, blow them out with shop air or contact cleaner put some anti-seize under the bolt head and a small amount of some removeable locktite to the threads, torque them and you should be fine. Also is it possable that you raisers and top clamp not of the same diameter??

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:25 PM
Texas T
Road Master

Ps... Great Looking Bike

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:26 PM
Bullbutch
|
Cruiser

Yeah i'm gonna try the emory cloth that sounds like a good idea cuz maybe the powder coat is too thick and not letting the cap contact the bars completely.

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:48 PM
SmokinApes
Advanced

Either griptape or cut up a pop or beer can and wrap it around the bar then tighten it up. thats what i did on my 18's when they kept movin on me...no problem since

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:53 PM
Bullbutch
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SmokinApes
Either griptape or cut up a pop or beer can and wrap it around the bar then tighten it up. thats what i did on my 18's when they kept movin on me...no problem since
I have heard of this also.
Thank you all very much for the help. I'll try the emory cloth first and if all else fails the beer can lol

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:54 PM
Bullbutch
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TJ6988
Ps... Great Looking Bike
Thanks bro... Yours is pretty bad *** as well !!!

Quick Reply: My new apes won't stay tight.