Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy/ New to HD

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that some dealers just dont want to drop prices because they figure if you dont buy it someone else will. And some dealers are willing to deal. This was the case for me. I bought my bike when I was 23 and just wanted my bike so bad I bought it with no deal.. I no longer will go to this dealer anymore for any services. I will drive 100 miles to the next dealer to buy knick knacks and service. So shop around and dont support those harley dealers that wont deal, because lets face it, they make all their money off the crap and services we buy for the bikes.

Last edited by Green Hornet; 07-05-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pezzy
Hi all.

I'm new to this message forum, and, new to Harley Davidson.

In the very near future, I'll be looking to purchase a Harley.

Prior to this I've ridden Honda, Yamaha & Suzuki. My last bike was a Suzuki 1,100 Katana. It wasn't exactly a crotch rocket or rice burner, a little better than that.....

I got my first bike about thirty years ago (God I'm old), but, I haven't actually purchased a bike in about ten years. So, I'm looking here for a little advice and tips......

After looking around at many dealerships, I'm leaning toward a Fat Boy Lo. The current 2011 model's MSRP is $16,299.

I imagine the 2012's will be coming out soon (I think I saw somewhere on these forums that it might be August). But, I wouldn't mind getting a 2011 "leftover" Fat Boy Lo.

So here's what I'd like to hear a little advice and tips on:

If I was able to find a leftover 2011 Fat Boy Lo (stripped down model with no "extras"), do you think the average Harley dealership would be motivated and willing to come down off the MSRP? Or do most dealers remain pretty firm?

And also:

Whether you're talking automobile dealerships or motorcycle, there can be all kinds of high-pressure sales and salesman. I am not some naive fresh-out-of-high-school kid, and I don't go for that kind of crap. And, I let salesmen know that right away when I visit any kind of dealership.

So.....any warnings or "heads up" about purchasing?

I know whether it's a car or bike that there's certain "standard" fees that you can't avoid (like document fee, title & reg., sales tax, destination, etc.), but from some perusing on these forums, I see there's certain BS fees to avoid, like "shipping fee", "assembly fee", or the infamous "dealer prep fee".

Anything else you can think of?

And just in-case any of you out there reading this are from where I'm from, I'm near the Phoenix area of Arizona. There's four dealerships relatively close by to me: Arrowhead, Buddy Stubbs Phoenix, Buddy Stubbs Anthem, and Hacienda. If any of you are familiar with these dealerships.....any feedback for me from your experience?

There's actually a member here on these forums by the name of Sandslider, who indicated that they're from the Phoenix, AZ area.

Sandslider, if you're out there: I sent you a PM

Anyway.....if any of you have any advice or tips for me, I'd certainly appreciate it. That is, info on what I mentioned above about a 2011 leftover Fat Boy Lo and lowering of MSRP; any warnings or heads-up about "fees" when discussing the out-the-door price.

And if any of you are from the Phoenix area of Arizona.....I'd like to hear from you
Pez
I'd hit'em up for a free 7yrs ESP that's like $550.00/Free Service Manual/A couple of Free Services.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Cav Cop
Tourer

I have a friend that works in new motorcycle sales. His step father is the owner.

Motorcycles are not like cars and trucks where you get a few grand off easy in most cases. If you get $500 to $1,000 off you are doing well.

The deals that my friend says they get are on demo bikes/dealer gifts. They can play with those prices a little more.

My friend says they do o.k., but they dont make a lot of money on bikes sales. Its the parts and clothes they make money on.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best advice you will get is to work the dealers against each other. Find the bike you want at each dealer and get the best price you can. If you get the name of a salesperson at each dealer and their number you can go to the dealers with the bike that you really want and call the others.

None are going to be like the deals you get on a car, but if you get a grand below retail and a few extra's thrown in, like pipes AC and download, you will be way ahead. In my experience, I would agree with above and spend some time looking at the used market. You can probably get an 11 with few miles on it that someone can't afford to pay for and needs to sell. At that point I can almost guarantee it will have some extra's on it already and you won't have to pay for them.

Ebay, Craigs and your local paper will get you the deals. Take some pictures and get the specs, then post them here and we can help with what your not sure of.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Pezzy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again; thanks for all of the replies.

I know there's some good deals out there on e-Bay/ CraigsList, but I prefer a dealership in this type of situation.

So if I can get them to come down maybe 500 to 1,000 dollars, that'd be good, right?

I also like that advice of seeing if I can get them to throw in for free the 1,000K & 5,000K service, and a certain "percent" off of merchandise for a year.

And also getting the dealerships working against each other. I was just at a dealership today browsing around, so this will make it four dealerships I've been to in my immediate area.

I heard from one of the salesmen that they'll be getting in the 2012's this week (I think he said the Sportsters will be this week, then other models including the Softails in the next two to three weeks to come).

It's not that I'm necessarily looking to get a 2012 model, it's just that I'm hoping that with the 2012's coming in that it will help motivate them to sell the 2011's off the showroom floor.

Thanks again for the advice and tips!
Pez

Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM
mike06train
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Montana Cowboy
Hey....Excuse me for asking.....but living in Phonenix....your in the hot bed of turmoil in this economy meltdown....with more homes going under then anywhere else in the nation. If you look on Craig's List, there are literally hundreds of Harley's for sale at fire sale prices....cause these dudes are desperate. I studied the market down there for four months last winter (where me and the mrs snow bird).

If I where you, I look around a few days before poping for a new bike. Now your talking about a stripped down Fat Boy. Most bikes for sale are gonna be tricked out with pipes...Screaming eagle air filters, bags and windshield....some with thousands of bucks worth of chrome etc. That are gonna be given away. If your particular, you can find bikes with low mileage and documented service records, and reciepts. Go look at a few bikes. You'll know in a minute seeing how the seller keeps his gargage, and presents himself if he's the kind of guy who took good care of his Harley. The down side is not having a 12 month warrentee. The up side is saving five or six thousand dollars (maybe more) on a brand new looking, and lightly used scooter.

Oh, I did buy a bike last January...I and it serviced at Superstition Harley, in Apache Junction and had no complaints dealing with them.

Good Luck looking for your bike....maybe we'll run into each other next winter?
I went this route. I had a new night train waiting at the dealer for me to pick-up.
I jumped on craigslist and in less then an hour found the same bike, color, with thousands in extras for 13,000. The dealer wanted 18900 for the bike with pipes, a/c & download. The used one had powercommander 3, lowerd, same pipes, pegs & grips, a/c and some other thing like mirrors & removable backrest. It only had 2000 miles on it.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Would definelty pit dealerships against each other. Good luck...

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

Buy resale.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

Buy a used one!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:00 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

That dealer is tripping. Almost 9k miles. Tell him see ya later and go check out other dealers. I wouldn't even want to buy from that crook. Hell, those are the best miles on a bike. Some guys don't see 9k before getting a new ride. Don't be impatient

Last edited by dansax; 07-10-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy/ New to HD