Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprung on a Softie ..... ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed Cross Bones floor boards on my Train, used the HG floorboard extensions, and manipulated my seat back to give my legs more room. Love the boards with the spring seat. Much more comfortable than the forwards.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM
flashman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. The old 'tractor style' seat was a deliberate choice for a few reasons, first the roads around here are nothing like the silky smooth interstates in the US...especially if you want to leave the main routes and actually see some of the country, and second as with most things the bike is still a work in progress...heading hopefully somewhere retro. Finally, convention be damned.

I will have to move the seat slightly forward and put on a set of 3 inch springs vice the 2 inch ones fitted at present...my fat **** keeps bottoming these ones out. (although if my physics serves me correctly they will have to be stronger not just longer), then new bars and risers, then.....

cheers

Old 09-19-2011, 05:07 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flashman
Thanks for the feedback. The old 'tractor style' seat was a deliberate choice for a few reasons, first the roads around here are nothing like the silky smooth interstates in the US...especially if you want to leave the main routes and actually see some of the country, and second as with most things the bike is still a work in progress...heading hopefully somewhere retro. Finally, convention be damned.

I will have to move the seat slightly forward and put on a set of 3 inch springs vice the 2 inch ones fitted at present...my fat **** keeps bottoming these ones out. (although if my physics serves me correctly they will have to be stronger not just longer), then new bars and risers, then.....

cheers
I think you will have an Awesome ride .

There are some companies that sell specific 'seat shocks' but they look Fugly.. you can also consider investing in the rear shocks to remedy the *** situation .

Old 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
flashman
Novice

klf33 - thanks man...its far from awsome right now but it might get there some day. I really find the advice, opinions and views of other likeminded folk on this forum of real value...guess that's why we have 'em, and I appreciate it when guys take the time to encourage and chide as appropriate.

Ride safe.

flashman

Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flashman
klf33 - thanks man...its far from awsome right now but it might get there some day. I really find the advice, opinions and views of other likeminded folk on this forum of real value...guess that's why we have 'em, and I appreciate it when guys take the time to encourage and chide as appropriate.

Ride safe.

flashman
Same here man.

By the way, AIM magazine and "The Horse" will give you 'ideas' on directions to go ... specially "The Horse", they are great when they do not talk politics and stick to bikes .

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member

They talk polotics there? I only go to the swap meet area.......

Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
flashman
Novice

Hey guys when you fit those floorboards did you have to relocate your brake master cylinder, or does it remain in the same place, just on the new bracket?

In other words is it a simple case of swapping the forward pegs' mounting brackets with the boards' mounts?

cheers

Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member

yep, just swap brackets with foot controls. The master cyl will swap between the two.....

Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the 1925 tractor style seat and got a bracket fabricated with seat bungs. Been riding with this for 3 years now and love it:

Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM
flashman
Novice

Cool, that's something you don't see everyday! Be keen to see some more pics of your rocker.

Quick Reply: Sprung on a Softie ..... ?