Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why, did HD stop making the Rocker C

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Nocturn, I do the same thing with little kids, but actually, more straight-laced looking adults have asked to be photographed on it. It's all been a hoot, a lot of fun, and fun is mostly what the scooter is about for me.

LOL, I've been a little surprised too sometimes when people just walked up and started a conversation as if I was some preppie who just got out of a Honda Civic. But that's fun too.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
steamybob
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
I had a Rocker C and it was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden. I tried to convince myself it was comfortable, and even posted saying it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I was lying to myself.
So........I went with HDs other hated model, the Blackline. Surprisingly I have had more compliments on it than I did on the Rocker. HD owners may hate it but the general public sure loves to come up to me when I'm pulled over taking a pinch of snuff to tell me how much they like the looks of it. It kinda bums me out because I was trying to be so tough looking they would be scared to approach me. Imagine my disappointment when a mom brought her little boy over so he could ask about the bike. I quickly rebounded, hid my shame, and picked the youngster up and plopped him on the seat so his mom could take photos. The look on that childs face was priceless, and before I knew it he gave me a hug. It made me smile for the rest of the day.
I attempted the same with a kid on my Deluxe...sssssssizzle - burned his bare leg on the rear cholo. He didn't smile for the picture!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
Very true.
Harleys have become modular, so expect more of the same in the future..
The designers now simply reach in to the same parts bin, mix up the available parts and toss together a different model to try and keep "fresh". The Rocker and the Cross Bones were 2009's example of ending an old model, while using some of the same parts to create a new one.
Yep, they most likely ran out of Deuce tanks. Plus the price was too high.

They were trying to compete with the custom chopper market, but as usual HD was late to the party. By the time they got there everybody wanted a bobber or a Street Glide.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Yep, they most likely ran out of Deuce tanks. Plus the price was too high.

They were trying to compete with the custom chopper market, but as usual HD was late to the party. By the time they got there everybody wanted a bobber or a Street Glide.

I never thought of the Deuce or the Rocker as being styled heavily after custom choppers, except maybe for the skinny front wheel. I just thought they were purdy and unique bikes. But Harley is pushing even skinnier front wheels on some of the newest bikes, so now I'm not sure this feature was ever intended to be "chopper style".

To me, two major hallmarks of the TV custom chopper era were a lot of stretch and rise in the frame. Increased rake and skinny front tires and wide rear tires can be found on pro-street and drag bikes, so that wouldn't be unique to a chopper style. Wide rear tires have also become pretty common on the higher-powered sport bikes.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-07-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
But Harley is pushing even skinnier front wheels on some of the newest bikes.
Word is they are killing the Blackline, what does that leave with a skinny tire?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Word is they are killing the Blackline, what does that leave with a skinny tire?
Several 2012 Dynas with an 80, and 2013 Wide Glide with an 80, off the top of my head? An 80 is a darned skinny tire! I'm surprised they still put it on anything. I don't like the way it looks at all, not to mention traction.

I have a 100 on the Rocker now, and will probably bump that up to a 120 once I get around to getting a wider wheel.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Several 2012 Dynas with an 80, and 2013 Wide Glide with an 80, off the top of my head? An 80 is a darned skinny tire! I'm surprised they still put it on anything. I don't like the way it looks at all, not to mention traction.

I have a 100 on the Rocker now, and will probably bump that up to a 120 once I get around to getting a wider wheel.
Been looking at a 2012 WG that the salesman says is drastically reduced. But when I ask how much won't give me a number.

Never ridden a 100, all my bikes have had the skinny 21" front and I have never had issues with traction.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steamybob
I attempted the same with a kid on my Deluxe...sssssssizzle - burned his bare leg on the rear cholo. He didn't smile for the picture!
They caught me at the best time. I had just got done eating my meal and was taking a pinch of snuff, so the pipes weren't hot. Believe me, the thought crossed my mind so I made sure of it by touching them with my hand before plopping the youngster on there.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
I had a Rocker C and it was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden. I tried to convince myself it was comfortable, and even posted saying it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I was lying to myself.
So........I went with HDs other hated model, the Blackline. Surprisingly I have had more compliments on it than I did on the Rocker. HD owners may hate it but the general public sure loves to come up to me when I'm pulled over taking a pinch of snuff to tell me how much they like the looks of it. It kinda bums me out because I was trying to be so tough looking they would be scared to approach me. Imagine my disappointment when a mom brought her little boy over so he could ask about the bike. I quickly rebounded, hid my shame, and picked the youngster up and plopped him on the seat so his mom could take photos. The look on that childs face was priceless, and before I knew it he gave me a hug. It made me smile for the rest of the day.

You probably needed to take that damn plastic platform out of the stock seat....I did that after i put the procharger on due to me sliding off the back when i floored it. Once i did that and put some additional padding it the seat is SO MUCH MORE comfortable than in the stock form.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 AM
bigalturk1
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Rocker" rear sprocket question...

I'm looking for a 66T rear sprocket (My Softail--- Changing ratio) & was told that the Rocker would fit (37779-07), the person selling it on eBay said it's for a 1-1/8" belt (That I have), but someone else said it was a smaller belt, not 1-1/8...
Any info appreciated >>>AL<<<

Quick Reply: Why, did HD stop making the Rocker C