Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FBL seat tailbone relief?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question FBL seat tailbone relief?

Hello,
I did a search and it appears I may be the only one with this problem, but I find that the stock seat on my 2011 Fat Boy Lo is not very comfortable after a moderate to long ride. It seems to push against my tailbone and get sore. If I sit further forward, it feels better, but then I am not it a good position.

I like the low seat, and I don't want anything too wide, but does anyone know of a seat that might let me sit a little further back and not push into my tailbone? I'm average heigt, 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I like to be a little back from the tank.

Oh, and an edit- I want to keep the solo seat style, but have the option of adding a passenger seat occasionally.

Thanks!

Last edited by Wabbit; 06-29-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Adding info..
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm the same height and haven't had that happen, personally I think the stock seat is nice, but that's just me.. Though if I had a choice, I was looking into a Danny Gray ButtCrack seat.. supposed to be comfortable, but then I lose the fender bib, luggage rack, and passenger seat..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

you think the stock seat is just fine until you get a an aftermarket seat. I put a Corbin Solo seat on and wow what a difference. It moved me back a little and really holds you in the saddle when riding. I also have Corbin's removable Pillion when needed. Also once you get a quality aftermarket seat you will see how poorly the stock seat is constructed.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the LePera Silhouette Two-up and find it extremely comfortable, way better than stock. They make the same seat in solo w/removable pillion. I rode several days around Laconia and never had a problem.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tracker56
I have the LePera Silhouette Two-up and find it extremely comfortable, way better than stock. They make the same seat in solo w/removable pillion. I rode several days around Laconia and never had a problem.
Did that include long rides of about 2 hours or so?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, we took the northern route from Waterboro, up 117, across 25 to 28...it was about a three hour trip without any stops. I love my seat, I will be getting the solo version to clean up the rear fender when the wife isn't with me.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 AM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my Lo for about 13 months now. Just did the Iron Butt Challenge 1000 miles in 24 hours last weekend on it and so far...I can't complain about the seat at all. I find it much more comfortable than the seat on my Deluxe. I'd recommend getting some gel or foam added to the seat where it's hurting your butt. That shouldn't cost you much at all and if it works, then you're golden. I had some added to my old Sportster's seat and it really helped.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

Thanks, JBG, but the problem seems to be that the part that curls up, the top edge digs into my tail bone area and causes it to be sore. I don't think adding more bulk to that will help. If anything, a little thinner area there, or lower, would probably be more comfortable. The seat on your sig picture seems to show a different style seat, though, with a lower back area.

Last edited by Wabbit; 06-29-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tracker56
Yeah, we took the northern route from Waterboro, up 117, across 25 to 28...it was about a three hour trip without any stops. I love my seat, I will be getting the solo version to clean up the rear fender when the wife isn't with me.
Hey Tracker, maybe sometime soon if you are in the area I could check out your seat?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if less seat is what you need, then they can shave your seat down. When I added the gel to the Deluxe seat, they also shaved down the left side of the seat edge for me too. I seem to ride on the left side of my seat so shaving it down a little really helped. You can do that yourself if you want. Just turn the seat over and undo the staples and shave it down a little. Then just staple it back up. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds.

Quick Reply: FBL seat tailbone relief?