Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help... No Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
msuheritage
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Help... No Brake Light

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I just finished installing beach bars and a nacelle on my 2007 heritage. Everything works except the brake light does not come on. I tried the front and rear brake and it does not light up. Any ideas?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your tail light on but just doesn't go brighter when you apply the brake? If so then it's likely the little switch inside the brake lever. It's pretty common for it to get messed up when people switch out their handlebars. I've done it myself in the past. If it's not on at all I'd say it's probably a bad connection or a pinched wire.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
msuheritage
Intermediate

correct. tail light is on but just doesnt go bright when I apply the foot or handbrake. Where should I look exactly. Thank you for your help.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

You broke the brake light switch, you can replace it or do a search and a few people have fixed it by putting a screw in the end of the switch. Yes it's a common problem if you don't put a wedge between the lever and the housing.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Randall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you broke the switch on the install I would suspect the rear brake would still light it up. Check the bulb first, then get a test light and see how far back you're getting juice. Start in the bulb socket and work your way forward. Are you sure the brake light isn't stuck on from the front brake switch and that's why it doesn't get brighter? Good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM
msuheritage
Intermediate

it would make most sense that the light is stuck on, thats the only way i can explain the foot pedal not working. I dont know where to look for this switch??

Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Front brake light switch is activated by the hand lever which is what you probably broke and is stuck on. Rear brake light switch is activated by brake line pressure. It's half way down the brake line between the master cylinder at your foot pedal and the rear brake. Right at the spot where the line changes from a metal line to a rubber hose.

You should be able to look at the filaments in the bulb and see whether the high or low filament is burning. That will tell you if you have brake light all the time or if the running light is on and you have no brake light.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Randall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+1 for 95yj

Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

When my front switch died (not broken, just stopped working) the rear still worked fine. This happened to a friends bike when he changed levers. The new levers were not making contact with the switch properly. We put some double stick tape on the part of the lever where the switch was to make contact qand it was fine. Has been fine ever since. Did you recently change levers?

Drew

Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM
msuheritage
Intermediate

eveyone thank you. there was a gap between the levers and the switch. i folded up a piece of card stock, wedged it inbetween the lever and the switch and so far its working fine. I really appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Please Help... No Brake Light